Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS Course Length Question

I've been delaying on submitting my application for the past while. I periodically open my file, and adjust the wording and content of my autobiographical sketch and the like... but I finally decided to submit today.

When I went to submit, it warned me that I exceeded 10 course lengths in one year and that this is unusual. As such I wanted to clarify how it defines these things.

I studied my undergrad at uOttawa, where all the courses that I took were half year/single semester courses. During one of my years I took 11 of these courses, 5 one semester and 6 during another. Does this constitute 11 lengths or actually only 5.5? This question is similar to a few that I saw asked previously, but the answers didn't seem to answer my problem... so I apologize if this is considered a repeat.

As a secondary aspect to this question, when I am entered the credit value/weight for the courses, I just based it off of the values in the grade report on my uOttawa page. The standard there is 3 credits per semester, which is quite different from the 1 credit per course year that I read about all the time.

I have lots of other questions, regarding the sketch and such, but they aren't really of as much importance as this.

Cheers

I got the same warning message last year. Don't worry - it just means you took a heavier than expected course load that year. With 6 courses in a semester, it is considered a heavier workload (since it takes only 4-5 courses/sem to be considered full-time).

I believe the warning message is only to alert people if they happened to make a mistake in entering their courses.

Also, while filling out the application, I noticed that this year you're allowed to put down "3 credits" for our uOttawa course credits. If I remember correctly, this wasn't available last year. It's still fine though. If you look at your application summary, you'll notice that OMSAS converts the credits under "OMSAS length" to reflect that a 3-credit uOttawa course is indeed worth only 1 OMSAS credit.

*sigh* I wish I was done like you! Wanna work on my UofT essay and McMaster Q's for me? :(

Six courses isn't all that unusual for my program (chem eng.), in fact, I am taking 6 courses each semester this year.. so I'm REALLY hoping that I get in this year, otherwise my average is bound to drop... 12 engineering courses with weekly assignments and labs... ewwww....

I really feel for you man, but I guess I am fortunate that I am not applying to as many medical schools (seeing as I am just a third year) so my school specific workload was reduced. I just had the fun of the sketch (half of which my main choice uOttawa will ignore because I did it in highschool)... and I only got 39 entries...

Six courses isn't all that unusual for my program (chem eng.), in fact, I am taking 6 courses each semester this year.. so I'm REALLY hoping that I get in this year, otherwise my average is bound to drop... 12 engineering courses with weekly assignments and labs... ewwww....

I really feel for you man, but I guess I am fortunate that I am not applying to as many medical schools (seeing as I am just a third year) so my school specific workload was reduced. I just had the fun of the sketch (half of which my main choice uOttawa will ignore because I did it in highschool)... and I only got 39 entries...

heyyy, :D i'm in chem eng too (with biochem). I know how it feels to have crazy workloads. And I know what you mean... I wish I had gotten in last year cuz my gpa significantly dropped this past year because of exactly what you just described.

Hi everyone,

I took a summer course at UofT, BIO150Y1, a full-year credit course. When I put 1.0 as credit value, OMSAS value converts it to 2.0. Does that mean I need to adjust that credit value to 0.5 so that OMSAS value reflects the course to be one full-year course?

Any insights?

Do you normally attend UofT? If so, on your normal Grade Reports / Transcripts, does it show as a 1 credit course or a 0.5 credit course?

I think if you're sure it's worth only one credit, you should get the OMSAS value to reflect that.

Archived