Premed 101 Forums

reference section- anybody knows approximately what they ask?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out whom I should choose as my referees; I have 5 or 6 options for people of different fields, and was wondering if anybody knows approximately what they ask the referees in the email they send them? I know, we're not supposed to know, but maybe somebody kbiws somehow? If anybody knows, this would be really helpful - it will enable me to better choose my referees.

Thanks!

I registered as a referee (and deleted it afterwards) and sent myself a referee request:

1. How long have you known the applicant?

2. How well do you know the applicant?

3. In what capacity have you known the applicant?

4. What qualities does the candidate possess that make him/her suitable for a career in medicine? (12 lines (approx. 1000

5. From your point of view, why does this applicant want to be a doctor? (12 lines (approx. 1000 characters))

6. Have you ever observed the applicant behaving inappropriately?

7. If yes, please describe the circumstances. (12 lines (approx. 1000 characters))

8. How would you rate the applicant as a candidate for admission to medical school? Please rate the candidate in comparison to others with similar qualifications and experience

9. Recommendation (select one of five choices)

I would think you would send a CV, a motivational letter, i.e., anessay you have written for a med school, and you would want to know if the are prerpared to issue a "s t r o n g" reference for your candidacy as a medical student.

If the person shows any question about a strong reference, I would drop them like a hot potatoe, as at best it would be a no-ame reference and at worst they can sink you and do harm.

I would say you should definitely take into account those questions that were sneakily found out, and then choose referees that could present you in the best light. If you find that you still can't narrow it down, I found it beneficial to follow the "1 academic, 1 employment, 1 volunteer" rule. (Aside: For schools that require an essay - not Calgary - this can nicely reflect the major themes in your essay.)

NicMB

U of C 2012

Oops, I didn't know we weren't supposed to know! Wasn't trying to be sneaky. I did it so I could present my potential referees with what they will be asked to answer, so they could make an educated decision with full knowledge of what they were being asked to answer about, and so that I could send them the appropriate information.

Archived