Premed 101 Forums

Taking 4 Courses/Semester in Bachelors Deg.

I'm in the second year of my degree and I don't know how well I'm going to do in one of the courses. The drop date (without academic prejudice) is approaching and I'd like to drop it, but I was wondering if taking 4 courses as opposed to 5 will affect my chance of getting into med?

Thanks!

Depending on which school you apply to, 4 courses can be okay. Others want to know why you took five. Personally I'd rather have 4 then a poor grade (assuming that you do well in the class next time)

It's actually an elective, so I wouldn't be taking it again, and I don't need the credit for my degree. I'm thinking that I will drop it, because I've already missed 10 points of the 100 for the year, and a poor grade would not only affect my chances for med, but would also possibly affect my chances of re-admission to the faculty next year.

according to MUN website:

"The course load in the medicine academic curriculum is demanding. The Admissions Committee attempts to determine if an applicant can successfully complete this academic curriculum, and therefore prefers, while not necessarily requiring, a full course load in each year of study."

according to MUN website:

"The course load in the medicine academic curriculum is demanding. The Admissions Committee attempts to determine if an applicant can successfully complete this academic curriculum, and therefore prefers, while not necessarily requiring, a full course load in each year of study."

Yeah, I saw that, but 4 courses is "full-time", so I'm confused as to whether or not it's a "full course load" as well or if the two are completely unrelated.

• 2 months later...
Yeah, I saw that, but 4 courses is "full-time", so I'm confused as to whether or not it's a "full course load" as well or if the two are completely unrelated.

5 is the usual full course load.

If you think you'll end up with a D in that course, drop it in a heartbeat.

Unless you take 6 courses next semester, taking 4 courses this sem will make this year ineligible for GPA calculations at Dal, as well as many schools in Ontario and out West. I'd drop it if you're going to get below a B-, but you're going to have to take 6 next sem.

Archived