Premed 101 Forums

U of T or UBC

Guest ML

I'm currently a British Columbia Grade 12 student, and I don't know where I should go for my undergrad....I'm thinking between U of T or UBC.....

Can anyone please tell me from their own experiences what those two schools are like in terms of competition, student life, and academics????

I would like to get into Med School someday, however, my impression is that going to Ontario for undergrad would be better since there are 5 med schools there, and only 1 in BC. So my chances of getting in would increase.

Guest Ian Wong

Hi there,

I posted some comments just a few days ago regarding choosing an undergrad university based on the chances of then getting into med school.

pub44.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm0.showMessage?topicID=309.topic

I personally think you would be doing a bit of a disservice to yourself to let the possibilities of med school control where you end up studying for university. Rather, like you've hinted in your post, go somewhere that you will enjoy living and studying in. That will help you get the most out of university, and help you get as good grades and other med school application criteria as possible. The reality is that there's a very good chance that in four years you won't be interested in med any more, because you've found something else that fits you even better.

As far as UBC goes as a university, I don't know how undergrad is because I didn't attend here. However, the campus and Vancouver itself are beautiful (as you probably aleady know). There is still a tuition freeze on at this point (although it can't last much longer). I was very happy attending UVic for undergrad, and highly recommend it as a good place to study for undergrad.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Picking the undergrad institution you go to based only on where you want to go to med school probably isn't the best idea. Anyway, the only Ontario medical school that favours Ontario undergrads is the University of Ottawa. The other 4 count BC residents as they would Ontario residents. But if you want to get away from home for a few years, then Ontario's a great place to go to university... I'm pretty sure that even if you went to undergrad in Ontario, you'd still be able to apply to UBC as a BC resident.

I went to UBC, and here at UT I have many classmates who did their undergrad at the St. George Campus. In general, both universities have a ferociously competitive premed community. In UBC, it's quite difficult to get research experience in undergrad. In UT, it's quite difficult to get to know your professors and get one-on-one instruction. In UBC, there's not much variety in terms of degree specialization. UT has insanely large class sizes and high tuition. In my opinion, the two universities weighed out pretty evenly, so my advice to you is go where you want to go, regardless of how well either will prepare you for medical school. I suggest you think about which city you'd like to spend the next 4 years of your life in, or which specific merits each institution has regarding resources for your program, rather than thinking two steps ahead.

By the way ML, in the future please abstain from double-posting in UBC & UT forums. :)

This topic can be found @ the UBC forum.

Archived