Premed 101 Forums

McGill Pre-Med

Premed0.o

Hello, I am interested in the McGill Pre-Med program and i was wondering... what do the admissions look for in ECs?

I was thinking of going overseas to volunteer in the summer of my freshman year in cegep, and 2~3years of hospital volunteering in around 2hospitals. is this enough? i really have no clue what mcgill admissions are looking for. please give me a heads up :)

Suggestion: If you will be 18 by summer, stay in Montreal, sign up with EMS Cote St. Luc, take the intensive summer Red Cross Coourse and CPR course, and become a trainee first responder in the field!

NOOOOOOOOOO :'( im turning 16 this summer. im applying for cegep this spring. so i will be 17 in the summer of my freshman year in cegep AHHH

I doubt anyone here will specifically tell you what to do for EC's. Most people will simply say "do something you like to do that shows the admissions committees that you have the qualities they are looking for in a doctor".

Also' date=' don't volunteer abroad.[/quote']

hmm why not? i was thinking like going to africa??

Also' date=' don't volunteer abroad.[/quote']

This is a ridiculous statement.

I know many people who have volunteered abroad and absolutely loved it.

On the flip side, there are people who trash it because you are basically paying to "volunteer" and it is seen by some as a clear attempt to pad your application.

My advice would be this: Dont limit yourself to medical volunteering b/c if you're not a med student, they wont let you do anything. So you will spend the summer watching and not really "helping" in any productive way. Leave your options open... you can build, work with kids, the opportunities are endless.

Most of all, ENJOY YOURSELF!

This is a ridiculous statement.

I know many people who have volunteered abroad and absolutely loved it.

On the flip side, there are people who trash it because you are basically paying to "volunteer" and it is seen by some as a clear attempt to pad your application.

My advice would be this: Dont limit yourself to medical volunteering b/c if you're not a med student, they wont let you do anything. So you will spend the summer watching and not really "helping" in any productive way. Leave your options open... you can build, work with kids, the opportunities are endless.

Most of all, ENJOY YOURSELF!

I wasn't referring to loving it. There are many ways to help the world by helping your community (many places are desperate for volunteers). And the fact that yeah, you are paying a crap load of cash for something that may be looked upon as padding. If you do end up going somewhere like South America or Africa, I would not mention anything about performing any medical procedures you would not be allowed to perform in NA.

Archived