Premed 101 Forums

UofT general surgery program

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the UofT general surgery residency program including things like amount of operative time residents get, emphasis on research, collegiality and work atmosphere. I don't have a graduate degree (and not interested in getting one) and don't want to get heavily involved in research or academics. I'll go for a fellowship after residency and hope to work in a tertiary care center, so I'm wondering if the UofT program would be an appropriate fit at all (or not) for my goals.

Input from current surgery residents (esp. UofT residents) would be espicially helpful.

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone has heard anything in particular about other gen surg programs at other schools, those comments would also be appreciated. :)

I'm not a surgery resident, so I can't comment specifically about any program, but if you want to eventually do a fellowship and work at a tertiary centre, then you are pretty much by definition going to be doing academic medicine and research. I think positions at tertiary centre come with requirements for teaching and research so if you want to do a subspecialty then you should probably start to like them!

Archived