Premed 101 Forums

*U of T anecdotes

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/9/2001 11:36 am*PST

Hello,

Hopefully not personally, but has anyone heard of any negative correspondence having been sent from UT, Queen's, UBC, Memorial or Manitoba?

Enjoy a dry weekend, a positive trip to the mailbox, and good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***2/11/2001 9:32 pm*PST

:)

Your ego really does take a beating during the application process. I remember it with less than fond memories...

I think you really need to keep in mind what you are doing this for. If you know deep inside that this is what you want, then you'll keep plugging away. I'd estimate that over one-third, and probably nearer to one-half of my class at UBC med got in after re-applying.

One guy wrote his MCAT *4* times before getting an acceptable score. Another person applied *4* times before getting accepted. Yet another person dropped out after first year of medical school in Ireland in order to come here; he had to redo his entire first year of med school.

In my opinion, knowing and working with the above three people in my class, who will stay anonymous here, these three people will all make incredible doctors that I would want to visit. Anything is possible if you have the desire.

Ian

Can, MS2

PS: To everyone out there reading this message board, JOIN IN! Using your real name and e-mail address is optional!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Kirsteen, Can MBA

Date:***2/12/2001 7:46 am*PST

Hello,

First, I'd like to thank both, Julie and shaft for their honesty. For those of us experiencing it directly, or even indirectly via friends or classmates, this medical school application experience is harrowing, and an often isolating process. Your ability to share your (temporary) misfortune is a good indicator of the medicine-worthy empathy that you both wield.

Second, to paraphrase Ian, if medicine is truly your passion, then keep pursuing it. From my own experience, I've been in the work force for a good number of years now, and have been making a living that most probably exceeds that of the majority of Canadian doctors. However, money is a pale substitute for the colour of vivid happiness. As Ian noted, if it takes four attempts (years) until you finally succeed in gaining entrance to your chosen pathway, then consider that four years in the context of the rest of your working life--not a very long time at all compared to the alternative of spending years and years in an activity that is accompanied by a potentially lesser degree of happiness.

Don't be beaten down by the application process, either. If you are rejected, try to find out why exactly, or how close you were to being accepted. It's not necessarily all black and white--that you were rejected simply because you were nowhere near what "they" deemed satisfactory. By discovering the background to your rejection, you achieve two things: help restore some of your lost-with-the-rejection-letter confidence, and gain insights as to how to improve your application for the following year.

Regarding never giving up, here's a small anecdote: one of my squash teammates started her first year at UT meds this past September. She inaugurally applied to medical schools three years ago, after completing her undergraduate degree. At that time, Queen's granted her an interview, but UT gave her the cold shoulder. After receiving the post-interview rejection letter from Queen's, she completed her Master's at UT. She re-applied to UT, Queen's and Mac last year, and both Queen's and UT invited her for interviews. This time around Queen's gave her the cold shoulder, but she received stony silence from UT. By the middle of June, and no UT letter in hand, she called the Admissions Office. After pulling her file, the Admissions Officer casually told her that her chances for entering UT meds that year were remote and that she should receive her corresponding letter in the mail shortly.

She was utterly dejected, second-guessed her abilities to enter medicine and began considering alternate career paths. However, by the beginning of the last week of August, she still had received no letter from UT. On the Monday prior to the commencement of Medicine Orientation Week, she called the Admissions Office, asking about her missing letter. To her complete surprise, the Admissions Officer, this time, responded that there was a good chance that she would be accepted, and that she would know, either way, by week's end. On the following Friday, my teammate received her call from UT stating that they had just announced, due to the OMA operative, the addition of a number of new seats in their first year class, and that she had better get her personal affairs together in time to begin O-week, three days hence!

So, fellow applicants, keep your chins up, your spirits high, and heed the lesson learned by my countryman, Robert the Bruce, from the spider in the cave, "try, try again".

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Archived