Premed 101 Forums

*August 2000, increased Ont. enrolment

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***8/25/2000 9:20 pm*PST

For anyone that hasn't heard, the Ontario government has just announced a grant of $1 million to Ontario med schools in order to raise the enrolment from 532 students to 572. In fact, these 40 spots will be available immediately for the 2000-01 school year, meaning that there will be 40 lucky people in for a pleasant surprise very soon =)

The 40 spots will be split as follows:

U of T 13, McMaster 8, Western 7, Ottawa 7, Queen's 5

You can find more info at www.thestar.com/thestar/e...A-DOC.html

Jeff, UG2 (U of T)

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong

Date:***8/27/2000 5:16 pm*PST

One of those forty lucky students works in a neighbouring Bio lab at UVic. He's been on standby mode for the last couple weeks. I hope he enjoys first year at U of T. :)

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S

Date:***8/27/2000 5:58 pm*PST

Wow, that's great... congrats to him. For any other Ontario med school hopefuls applying this year or in the not too distant future (like me, next year), there might be even more enrolment increases coming soon. The Expert Panel of Health Professional Human Resources for the Ontario government is supposed to give final recommendations in the fall, and this may result in more spaces for currently existing medical schools, as well as a creation of a new med school up in northern Ontario (dunno how long that would take, though).

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/3/2000 11:19 pm*PST

One thing's for sure. It's going to be interesting to see if additional money will also be given to increase the number of residency spots through CaRMS in order to accomodate the additional number of students. It doesn't make a great deal of sense to increase the number of med students without leaving them access to post-secondary education.

At the current time, UBC graduates 120 med students per year, but only has 107 (I think) residency positions. There is talk of increasing enrollment here as well, which would only further aggravate matters once those additional students graduated and started looking for residency positions...

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Capt. Japan, MBA

Date:***1/25/2001 8:10 am*PST

Apparently there is a strong possibility that U of T, at least, will be adding more spaces in their undergraduate medical programme for the 2001 class. When the last batch of seats were added, I had a conversation with a member Dean's Office at U of T and she said that it was highly likely that they would be adding an additional (~10-15 in her estimate) seats for the 2001 class.

Archived