Premed 101 Forums

Essay course proof

Guest uftstudent

Guest uftstudent

Hi,

Turns out the professor who offered the essay course I took is out of the country and won't be back till late may. I REALLY don't want to wait that long. To add to that, the course is cancelled so there's no description available in the calendar. So i'm trying to get him to just email that the course had essays in it (he won't say i was in the course without checking his records). Anyone know if I can send them a course syllabus instead, like a course outline that includes an evaluation?? I emailed Western but they just replied with the admission letter quoted.

Any advice is appreciated:)

Guest piratefan

I emailed yesterday, here's the reply I got:

"It is certainly acceptable to submit the course syllabus - just be sure it speciifically lists the essay component."

I was definitely relieved to hear it after receiving several out-of-office replies when I started emailing profs.

~pf

Guest uftstudent

thanks...

but I found the syllabus and guess what?? It just lists the essays as "assignments." Now I dug through my notes and found an assignment outline and a final exam outline that clearly states there were essays...does anyone know if they're flexible enough to accept these? I'll call them and ask as well...:|

Guest Anish  P

Hey uftstudent... when I got in last year, I sent in a copy of each course's syllabus, both of which were quite vague, but mentioned the word "essay"... so it was all good.

I think they are pretty flexible with this requirement -- if you have any documentation that clearly states the course name & the existence of an essay component, you should be gold.

Of course, phoning the office to make sure is always a good idea :) I wouldn't lose any sleep about it in the meantime tho...

Anish

Guest aneliz

Another option is to see if the dept that offered the course would be willing to write something for you about the content of the course. Waiting until the end of May though is not a big deal... I would probably wait for the prof to get back if it was me.

Guest uftstudent

much thanks for all the replies...I got my TA from that course to write me an email...should be sufficient right? He signed the letter name, PhD (ie. no professor title).

:)

Guest Darwin

I had difficulty getting a hold of the instructor of my "essay" course, and the course syllabus only mentioned "assignments" as well. I emailed Darla, and she said it's acceptable to get a letter from the Department offering the course.

Guest sensfan

this may be kind of a dumb/obvious question but i just got back from greece so my head is a bit foggy... in the acceptance letter, they say about the essay proof: "this information must be included when you send your letter to us". what letter are they talking about? the one with the official omsas response thing? what if i'm provisionally accepting? gah! thanks for any help...

Guest jonascarter

This is slightly off-topic. But I'm curious, was anyone asked for the "Proof of Essay Course" in their waitlist letter?

Guest sajicd

yep... on the waitilist and was also asked for the proof of essay course

i was worried that we had to send proof too so i emailed Darla. She said not to send anything in unless acceptance is offered.

Guest uftstudent

Sensfan....I think we have to include it in our acceptance letter.

The out of town prof emailed back but he wrote there was only one major essay and "several shorter written assignments" He TOTALLY downplayed the essay component and I don't know why (maybe forgot?). Is this proof better because it's signed by a Professor, as opposed to the TA (who simply signed PhD). However the TA wrote a much better letter and emphasized the 5 "academic" essays we wrote. . . . can anyone advise which one's better (ie. how much importance to they place on a professor writing the letter vs. TA, and on One versus numerous essays)...thanks! :)

(sadly i have the long weekend to wonder about this since mail won't go out till tuesday!)

Guest aneliz

To be an essay course, it only needs to have one major essay (ie full length with references). I would send the note from the prof rather than the TA. But you could send both if you are really worried.

Guest uftstudent

Thanks for all the help everyone...I'm going to send the Professor letter and an exam outline that mentions three essays on it. Glad to be done with this!

:) :)

Guest wAcKo

Hi,

Uhm.. I just sent them the course outlines as pdf files.. I haven't heard anything back... so now i'm worried.. was it suitable?

wAcKo

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey,

a) You know that today is a holiday, right?

B) The '06s just had their convocation, so between that and dealing with the incoming class of 2010 the office is pretty busy these days. If it's really bugging you give the office a call in a week or so, but give them some time to catch up. If there's a problem with your documentation they'll get in touch with you to sort it out - they won't just silently drop your acceptance.

Cheers,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQFEcgHw/HNgbK3bC2wRAjWXAJ4+vlMDtovGorGQ15ChCVrnutjZ1QCfQMh0

JEdWnmg4pEae1kkzKGfhKXI=

=0Npi

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Archived