Premed 101 Forums

radiology application advice by PD

alchemist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The video was very informative. I would actually recommend it to those who are interested in any competitive specialty, not just radiology.

I have heard conflicting things from program directors--often depending on the program director him/herself, the program, or the school. PDs are required to tell us that they prefer "diversification" of electives, as part of the school's policy. However, I've heard (under the table) from two PDs and several residents that too many electives in one area does not necessarily hurt you despite this "diversification" talk, and is actually preferable in some cases.

Any insight into this?

I have heard conflicting things from program directors--often depending on the program director him/herself, the program, or the school. PDs are required to tell us that they prefer "diversification" of electives, as part of the school's policy. However, I've heard (under the table) from two PDs and several residents that too many electives in one area does not necessarily hurt you despite this "diversification" talk, and is actually preferable in some cases.

Any insight into this?

I talked to a senior psychiatry resident about this... it's school and specialty specific. I have 16 weeks of electives in my specialty of choice and nothing else. My school has a diversification requirement that I am fulfilling after carms. The one particular program I inquired about likes to see diversification within the specialty itself (ie: for psych, child psych, inpatient, outpatient, group therapy, family therapy etc.). I would chat with people who are familiar with carms at the school you are interested in to make sure.

Archived