Premed 101 Forums

Chemistry Help

ichemistry

hi and welcome to the forums!

dissociation = molecule turns into ions

soluble = "disappears" in water (or another given solvent)

if it dissociates, it may not "appear to be soluble". Everything is soluble and dissociates to an extent, but it may not appear so. Also, dissociation doesn't mean it will be soluble, you could get precipitates.

Sb(OH)3 ? Yeah, probably soluble in water. Looks reactive enough down there in the periodic table.

someone please explain to me why higher level orbits in an atom have higher energy. I thought I understood it but now I am drawing a blank.

I don't think we particularly have to know why higher levelorbits have higher energy, but I believe it has something to do with its stability. For instance, a higher energy orbital is less stable hence more reactive (think valence shell, which is very reactive). Thus, higher energy = more reactive, thus higher level orbitals = more energy. HTH

someone please explain to me why higher level orbits in an atom have higher energy. I thought I understood it but now I am drawing a blank.

You don't have to understand why they're higher energy. But you just have to know that they are.

If you're having trouble remembering it, then maybe this will help. An electron that has a high energy level is easily excited and can leave an atom relatively easily. It has enough energy to do so! HIGH energy = LEAVE easily. Now which elec. are more likely to leave easily? Electrons closest to an atom feel the "proton love" the most and therefore, find it more difficult to escape an atom so they have lower energy.

Another way to think about it is considering it like potential energy. For gravitational potential energy, the further you are from the ground (PE=mgh), the more energy you have. Similarly, electrons in higher shells are FARTHER away from the nucleus so they have more energy.

Hope that helps... it's not so important to know why, it's important to remember the rule though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived