Premed 101 Forums

why??!!

hey all, just looking for some advice...

I didn't get an interview at a couple of places where I did an elective, got great evals/letter of reference, and good feedback from residents (despite knowing that other people have received invites). Is it worth while to try to contact the program directors and figure out why an interview wasn't offered?

Has this happened to other people and what did you do? Does it mean that something was glaringly wrong on my paper application???

hey all, just looking for some advice...

I didn't get an interview at a couple of places where I did an elective, got great evals/letter of reference, and good feedback from residents (despite knowing that other people have received invites). Is it worth while to try to contact the program directors and figure out why an interview wasn't offered?

Has this happened to other people and what did you do? Does it mean that something was glaringly wrong on my paper application???

I don't think it necessarily means that there was anything wrong with your paper application. Perhaps the specialty that you are applying to is more competitive this year? Some of the more competitive specialties interview a lot less people as I am sure you are aware. What are you applying to, if you don't mind me asking? I have heard of people appealing for interviews, but I'm not sure how successful this strategy is?

I agree with mac19, it's hard to know without knowing what specialty you've applied to and how competitive it is... Is there any reason NOT to contact the program directors and ask? Worst they can do is not give you an interview, which has already happened....

Contact the programs. Worst thing that can happen is a "no interview, sorry" response.

In my year, some of my classmates had similar stories. They were good applicants, had excellent reference letters and didn't get interviews at their home university for their chosen program!

So they contacted other universities and arranged interviews that way.

Physio

Archived