Premed 101 Forums

US Interviews

Cyradis

Hey everyone,

so I realize it's a Canadian forum, but none of the Ontario schools have offered interviews yet (not so sure about the other provinces?), so I figure I'd ask anyway.

Is anyone interviewing/already has interviewed in the states who'd be interested in sharing ideas/comments on what the process is like/how you're prepping for it/dress/just about anything else?

Thanks

The interview process in America is a lot more laid back and enjoyable (although I suppose it depends on the school). My interview at RFUMS was separated into two one-on-one conversation-like interviews (nice to have them separate, just in case you feel like you screw up one. If there was a huge discrepancy between the two scores, you could also be invited to have a third interview at the end of the day).

It was an awesome change-of-pace from Canadian interviews. They had no list of questions to go through and I found myself instead having a two-way conversation.

With that said, I am pretty interested in the healthcare debate in the States so that topic wasn't too hard for me to touch upon. In hindsight, knowledge of the healthcare debate and going over my primary and secondary was all I needed (though my neurotic self did so much more, lol).

U.S. interviews are laid back and presumably threfore completely unlike Canadian interviews and when myself and another Canadian told the other Americans at my SUNY Upstate interview about MMI their jaws dropped and they felt very sorry for what we have to go through up here in Canada.

The Canadian admissions system stinks so bad I will likely not practice here as a result -_-. If they want to prevent brain drain they should look at themselves first.

Part of the reason the US interview style is so laid back is the fact that by the interview stage, you are deemed to be acceptable to the school. The interview is a chance for the school to know you and a chance for you to know the school. In Canada, however, because of our preoccupation with being "fair", they have instituted this standardized interview style with points awarded according to a standardized checklist.

Archived