Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Prep for someone with Arts background

6js590

I'm almost finished my degree in health promotion (B.A.H., so not healthsci). I've only done basic bio, 2 bio courses in my first year (not stellar grades, but I passed). I haven't done physics or chem since highschool (graduated 2004, went to college then university). I'm wanting to write the MCAT, and I'm not worried about the VR or WS, but I am worried about the BS and PS.

If I wanted to complete university Physics and chem, it would mean going back another year, which I'm not too keen on, so I was wondering how I could best prepare for these sections of the MCAT without doing the university courses. I was thinking of a few options, for instance the local college offers a one semester "prepatory chemistry" and "prepatory physics" courses over the summers and throughout the year, so I could do that. I was also thinking I could just sit in on the chem and physics lectures on campus (not my favorite idea, but still an option), and finally, I could use the prep books/take an MCAT prep course/get a tutor.

I am interested in learning more science (not crazy about chem), and I am a quick learner, but I need to have a plan so I can focus.

In terms of having prereq's for med schools, the only one's that could be feasible for me to attend (due to money/family) if I were accepted would be either Queen's or McMaster, both of which I have the prereq's for (Queen's says physical science includes geology which I took as electives!)

Any advice on which avenue I should choose? Or any other option which I have not mentioned?

Thanks so much!

Well hello there, i am kinda on the same boat as you for physics. What i have decided to do is get the book physics for dumbies and learn things out of that. The assume that you have no prior knowledge of physics. Prehaps you can do that for chemistry and physics. Then what you could do is practice out of the mcat prep books. Thats pretty much my plan. Im also going to take physics for non science students so i can get a better understanding.

I think taking the outside courses could be useful. It all depends on your learning style. If you are confident about the way you study then i would stick to learning things my self. Im sure you would like to save money. If you need a tutor then go for it. If you have any friends try going to them for help. Thats what i would do. Hope this helps you somewhat :).

I'm using the for dummies books for chemistry, ochem, and bio. I'm from a physics background, and I'm very good at verbal/writing stuff, but I've never taken ochem, and I last took chem and bio in 2001. The for dummies books are pretty good... they also have workbooks for chem, ochem, and physics, and I would recommend getting those as well. I also went through my biology textbook from back in the day and made detailed notes. Then just work through the actual MCAT prep books once you have the foundation. I'm actually starting to do pretty well with those three subjects, so I think it's a strategy that works. I'll let you know after I actually take the MCAT! But I'm getting 30+ on practice tests.

Archived