Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Preparation Q

acress

Firstly, I am an Honors B.Sc. Biomedical Science graduate and I had an ~3.94GPA in my last two years...

I'm planning on an early summer date to write it (probably late April-early/mid May). Does anyone know if it's possible to adequately prepare for the test along with a full time job working ~35-40hrs a week? I was thinking of getting a full time Monday-Friday job and then studying for 2-3 hrs a night in the evening and for some substantial time on the weekends.

I'm just really unsure of what's required of people for this test... I've heard some people literally take 4 months off of work to study and end up getting low 30's but I've also heard of people working full-time and studying in the evenings ending up with mid-30s. I'm also looking to get in the mid-30's.

Any advice?

Firstly, I am an Honors B.Sc. Biomedical Science graduate and I had an ~3.94GPA in my last two years...

I'm planning on an early summer date to write it (probably late April-early/mid May). Does anyone know if it's possible to adequately prepare for the test along with a full time job working ~35-40hrs a week? I was thinking of getting a full time Monday-Friday job and then studying for 2-3 hrs a night in the evening and for some substantial time on the weekends.

I'm just really unsure of what's required of people for this test... I've heard some people literally take 4 months off of work to study and end up getting low 30's but I've also heard of people working full-time and studying in the evenings ending up with mid-30s. I'm also looking to get in the mid-30's.

Any advice?

I can tell you that it is possible to work a full time job and still be able to pull off a mid 30. I took my test August 25th and began studying shortly after my exams finished in the beginning of May. I also worked 44 hrs a week so I know what you are going to be facing.

One important thing to remember is that you have to get out every once in a while and just blow off some steam. Life isn't going to be the most fun for your study period, because there really isn't a lot of time aside from working, studying, sleeping.

MCAT studying is a commitment, but I never found it necessary to study more than 2-3 hrs a day provided I gave myself a large enough span to go through all the material (3 months was easily enough to get through it given this routine).

I scored a 35S. Best of luck.

Archived