Premed 101 Forums

Summer Research Jobs- Initial Email

ladeeda

I'm in the process of applying to summer jobs and a lot of research jobs require you to make your own match with a prof and then apply together for funding. What should I include in my initial email to profs that I'm interested in working with? Just a cover letter? Include resume? How much reference should I make to their research?

In an initial email, I'd include a "cover letter" that explains who you are, and definitely refer to their research and what in particular about their research interests you and say that you would like to work with them for the summer. Then maybe attach a very brief resume, or work into the cover letter what year in school you are, any previous research experience, etc. A resume is probably not absolutely necessary at this point, but it's better to err on the side of too much formality than not enough, if you're not sure. And in your letter, ask if you can set up a time to meet with them to talk about it in person. If it's a prof you don't know at all, then you definitely want to meet them before deciding to work with them anyway.

If any of them happen to be profs that you know really well, though, you probably don't even need to send such a detailed email. Just say that you're interested in doing research for the summer, and ask if you could stop by to talk to them about it sometime.

Also had another thought that might help. Depending on the funding situation where you are, you might not actually get a research job until you've done research without getting paid for a while. So it might not hurt to mention that you're still interested in doing research part-time while having another summer job in the event that you don't get funding. It took me two summers of doing research without getting paid before I actually got a paid research job.

I went through this last year... initially I sent a short email telling the supervisor I was interested. I got no responses. Then I started attaching my resume, as well as elaborating on why I wanted to be involved with their project in the email. Then I got many responses, telling me that my experience was "impressive" and inviting me to meet with them.

IMO, a cover letter is unnecessary, since you can write about your interest in the email itself. They may ask you to send a transcript afterwards, but I wouldn't send it right away (unless you have amazing marks, in which case it couldn't hurt and would probably impress them more).

did you have significant research experience, and is that what made them reply?

Would researchers hire you even if you're not applying for any fundings/grants/ scholarships? I mean, are they willing to pay you with money from their own pockets?

Probably not if you're an undergrad, just because they're probably spending all their money on their grad students and don't have any extra. If they have extra money, then they might. I've seen it happen. But most are willing to take on undergrads as volunteers if there isn't any money.

Probably not if you're an undergrad, just because they're probably spending all their money on their grad students and don't have any extra. If they have extra money, then they might. I've seen it happen. But most are willing to take on undergrads as volunteers if there isn't any money.

Dang. I guess volunteer experience is better than nothing. In this case, would you email the prof directly that you'd want to volunteer? Or just plainly state that you're interested and see what the response is?

Dang. I guess volunteer experience is better than nothing. In this case, would you email the prof directly that you'd want to volunteer? Or just plainly state that you're interested and see what the response is?

If you have the time to do it, the best way to go about it would be to try and get involved in research as a volunteer right now during the school year, and then when summer comes you'll know the prof and you can talk about summer funding ideas. They'd rather try to get funding for someone who's been working with them and knows what they're doing already than for someone brand new. So I would send an email and just say, "Hey, I'm interested in your research (a few specifics), and was wondering if I could get involved this semester. Is there a time we could meet to talk about it?" And then go from there. If you don't get a response, then stop by during office hours and ask if you could set up a time to meet (some profs are really bad about responding to emails, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're just blowing you off).

Not necessarily too late if you're going to stick around for the summer. Professors don't tend to think about semesters when they're thinking about research - it's just kind of continuous. So if you're planning to continue doing it for the summer, it'll just be like you're adding on an extra few months to get started so you'll really know what you're doing by the summer. If you were going to leave for the summer, then it might not be worth it. But half the grad students in my department didn't even show up until this week anyway. So I think it's definitely still worth looking into this semester. If nothing else, a prof could give you papers and things to read so you'll know more what's going on if you do research in the summer.

And starting now could have the added bonus of making you more likely to get a publication than someone who just did it for the summer! :)

You don't need to go super in depth, just mention a few specific things that they've done that you find interesting. I'd say something like (going with an astronomy example, which is what I do), "I'm interested in your research in period changes in delta Scuti variable stars, and I would love to work with you on a related project. I was wondering if I could set up a time to meet with you and talk about how I could get involved."

Archived