Premed 101 Forums

Usra + Mcat

fornix

Hello Everyone,

I have applied for USRA(NSERC UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT RESEARCH AWARDS ). I am very positive that I will get it. I was also planning to do mcat this summer. I wanted to ask if it is possible to do well in mcat(>35) along with usra.And how much is the workload during ur research term ? thanks

First off, good luck on the USRA! I've applied for one too for the summer.

As far as workload goes, I suppose that depends on your supervisor. Some will probably work you really hard (40 hours a week) and others will probably be more laid back.

Realistically though, I wrote the MCAT last summer while working 30 - 40 hours a week, and I did really well. So it is definitely possible to do both as long as you manage your time effectively.

Hey OP, I would suggest NOT working whilst studying for your MCAT. Por que? you inquire? Because when you're studying for the 'cats, you'll have to give it your all!! Unless ofcourse, you're like ace of spades over here, and can manage your time really really well.

You'll not only have to spend 8-5 in the lab everyday, but you'll also have to do other reading to write your paper, and do lit searches and yadda yadda. By the time you get home, you'll be tired, and won't feel like studying for your mcat! you won't get to go to the gym, you won't have a 'life' for 4 months. I had no life, but I had no job either...so I could take a breather, and have lunch w/ friends, and watch some t.v. and do some pleasure reading.

Think about it carefully. MCAT is only meant to be written once. Trust me, you don't want to have to tackle this beast again, because you did poorly (or not as well as you'd have liked) due to your job.

GOOD LUCK regardless of what you choose. :)

EDIT: p.s. what year are you in krrish? If you're only in second year, going into your third year, then you may want to take on the USRA and study for your mcat alongside, but not write it until you're certain you can excel. If you're in your 3rd year, going into your 4th, then I suggesst telling the USRA to take a hike and focussing on your mcat. YOu can still apply and get the USRA in your 4th year (summer). HTH

It really depends on the nature of your research lab. I've had two USRAs in my undergrad, and I spend most of my 9-5 day waiting around for experiments. I studied for my MCAT while doing my second USRA, and wrote it in August. I think it is very doable.

Last year, myself and a few other people I knew had NSERC Awards and were also writing MCATs. The scores really varied. For me, I didn't do so well (or not as well as I wanted to). I basically studied right after work (~4:30) up until 11PM. It was brutal and tiring. On the other hand, I know some people were only studying about ~3 hours after work every night (weekends off), and managed to pull 35+. I think it really depends on your strengths in the subject areas (prior knowledge), and how efficiently and effectively you study.

The workload depends on the lab. You can study while different experiments are running (gels, blots, etc.), but it'll be very 'interrupted' studying because you got to go back and forth washing and checking on things, etc.

Nonetheless, USRA is a very valuable experience. Good luck!

I think that time management is definitely an issue, and if you are aiming for above 38 or something then perhaps you'd need to dedicate yourself completely, but I got a 34S while working full time on my honours thesis with a USRA. While there were obviously stressful times I still had a relaxing summer and was able to go out and have fun. I would assume that med school would probably be pretty demanding so this could be a potential test for you.

As others have already mentioned in one way or another, it depends person-to-person. I was in the same position and it is definitely a tough call. Are you in 2nd year or 3rd year? Also, have you had any research experience prior to this USRA that you are applying for?

If you are in 2nd year and you don't have any prior research experience, I would suggest that you do both the USRA and the MCAT. This might sound counterintuitive but here is my logic. Research experience, especially with a USRA (supervisors tend to take you a bit more seriously at least from my experience) can really strengthen your med school app and it presents opportunities for further work in the lab even during the school year (and publications). Now, combined with that research experience, if you do well on the MCAT, you have turned yourself into an ideal candidate even as a third year student. If the MCAT does not go well, it's not the end of the world. At least you have experienced it, and you can even fully dedicate yourself to studying for the MCAT next summer because you already have some research experience under your belt.

If you forgo the USRA this summer to study for the MCAT and you don't do well, you have put yourself into a precarious situation. During the next summer, you will have to decide if you want to gain some valuable research experience, or fully dedicate yourself to the MCAT once again, or both if you can handle it. Seeing how the MCAT (i.e. verbal) can make you or break you these days, it may be risky during the summer of your third year to work while trying to obtain a solid MCAT score. Ultimately, you might not have time to do a USRA altogether during undergrad.

That's my take on it anyway, feel free to disagree.

Archived