Premed 101 Forums

Forensic Psychiatry Resources?

eastcoast

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows of any online resources regarding forensic psychiatry residency/fellowship in canada, job prospects, lifestyle, etc. I have read that adolescent/child psychiatry was more lucrative than adult psychiatry, but I'm wondering where forensic psychiatry fits into the picture? Thanks!

• 3 years later...

Probably speaking to a forensic psychiatrist would be your best bet :) - The forensics guys I know are awesome, but they work very hard at a tough job for the money that they earn. If you take on additional cases and more difficult work, your renumeration increases - I think the forensics guys bill some of the highest $ in their fields, but again, they work very hard, often taking a lot of their work home with them.

As for the fellowship - it is "two years" in that you do specialized electives in your R5 year and then do an additional R6 year.

It's not hard science though. Forensics is hardly a scientific field, I can't even start thinking about forensic psych...

Funny you should say that, this just came out in the news today: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/predicting-violence-in-psychopaths-utterly-useless-psychiatrists-say/article14654568/#dashboard/follows/ :D

Probably speaking to a forensic psychiatrist would be your best bet :) - The forensics guys I know are awesome, but they work very hard at a tough job for the money that they earn. If you take on additional cases and more difficult work, your renumeration increases - I think the forensics guys bill some of the highest $ in their fields, but again, they work very hard, often taking a lot of their work home with them.

As for the fellowship - it is "two years" in that you do specialized electives in your R5 year and then do an additional R6 year.

Good point Renin, I'm going to have to make phone calls. If you can put me in touch with any, I'd be very grateful. You're in psych residency, no?

Oh, I didn't realize it was two years effectively...most of the websites I've seen say its just an additional year on top of psych res... :confused:

Good point Renin, I'm going to have to make phone calls. If you can put me in touch with any, I'd be very grateful. You're in psych residency, no?

Oh, I didn't realize it was two years effectively...most of the websites I've seen say its just an additional year on top of psych res... :confused:

Yep. I'm in psychiatry residency :3 - I have a few contacts in that area if you were interested, especially if you wanted to set up some shadowing or something like thus. Then you can ask them all the questions you want to your heart's content!

It's two years; like I explained the first one uses elective time in your R5 year, so it's not two additional years.

Archived