Premed 101 Forums

UBC intervew experience

Q. Anything about UBC that separates it from most other dental schools?

I don't know if I can answer this question thoroughly in one shot so expect that I may add as I go.

I think the most obvious distinction UBC has is the $19 million clinic. There's a reason why you get a tour of it. You can't find a better, more advanced clinic anywhere in Canada currently. Funny thing is back when I interviewed, they didn't do anything like this. You just go for your interview and you go home. You have no idea what the curriculum is like nor what the clinic looks like. I approached the adcom and headed the first set of tours. From that ballooned what you see now. They have done a wonderful job providing applicants with a better understanding of what UBC can offer them.

The clinic has several distinctive features. You have very beautiful equipment to work with. There are several endo microscopes which aren't even available in most GP offices. You are actually above ground and have a full glass wall on each side, giving you a chance to enjoy the sun (when it isn't raining). As of my years, we were one of the few schools in Canada to teach rotary endo - it is the future and taught at almost every school in the US. You learn digital radiography and paperless charting which is the way of the future.

In terms of education, the one that stands out is the ortho program. Now this may change because of the addition of an ortho school, but ortho is taught extensively at UBC. You will have the opportunity to treat 4 to 7 patients in ortho. UBC is one of the few schools that allow you to do fixed braces, and potentially full upper and lower. Most schools that do allow ortho will only allow you to do removable appliances only. I know that McGill's dental school also has a good ortho program and do allow fixed as well, but not full upper and lower. This is a great opportunity for those who are interested in ortho and would like a preview. I am sure it helps with ortho specialty school applications as well.

As from my other posts, UBC will teach you more medicine than you will encounter in any other school. You will receive a full 2 years of medicine (minus the courses I discussed early). I know some people from other schools brag about the amount of medicine, but it's not really clearcut that "cool" or "awesome". If anyone disagrees that UBC teaches medicine heavily, please feel free to discuss the steps of childbirth delivery and the muscles of each of the 4 layers of the sole of the foot.

Another feature which others may not care, but that I value a lot is the emphasis on ergonomics. From the start, you are trained on proper ergonomics and are constantly monitored on it. This will help you protect your back and extend you career. Because it was hammered into my head repeatedly throughout the years, I naturally am aware of my posture. I always appreciated this personally.

One unique factor is dental labs. I never knew this term until an applicant asked me when I ran the first tours. UBC Dentistry has NO dental labs. Most schools start you on a mannequin on stick on a table where you practice your prepping and restoring skills on plastic teeth. At UBC, you take that mannequin and stick it on the same chair used by patients. Therefore, as you develop your skills, you get familiar with the actual clinic and chair. You also have an opportunity to practice ergonomics and develop a sense of how you like to position your patient. The transition from dummy to live patient is made a little easier.

That's all I can think of for now.

Archived