Premed 101 Forums

low first semester r-score

tugua

Hi there,

I'm currently in Marianopolis CEGEP, and completed my first semester. Now I have a few worries to address.

I am aiming for medicine department in McGill University, but the problem is that I've got an awful global r-score of 25.71. It is roughly 26...

I heard people say that McGill requires 34 of r-score in average, and that those who have 28 of r-score might still be able to catch-up, but those 26 don't stand a chance...

Now I must say, I am totally fired up and motivated to get good grades for the next 3 semesters in order to attend Med. I had some problems in the last one which made me lose my academic concentration necessary for success.

Now please answer me with the most realistic answer possible. Can I or can I not have a chance to catch-up with the minimum requirements for admission?

Many thanks!

Technically, it is possible. But it would be very hard just to reach the 34 mark.

You probably don't know this but the first term's crc is only worth 20% of ur overall crc; the 2nd and 3rd are worth 40% each. (The universities can't look at ur 4th semester because you apply in the middle of it). Then you just do some number crunching and find out that you would need a minimum crc of ~36 for the next 2 terms in order to get a 34 r score.

36 is pretty high but is obtainable if you work very hard.

Technically, it is possible. But it would be very hard just to reach the 34 mark.

You probably don't know this but the first term's crc is only worth 20% of ur overall crc; the 2nd and 3rd are worth 40% each. (The universities can't look at ur 4th semester because you apply in the middle of it). Then you just do some number crunching and find out that you would need a minimum crc of ~36 for the next 2 terms in order to get a 34 r score.

36 is pretty high but is obtainable if you work very hard.

You made a mistake. Actually, each term is worth the same.

Then, first term is worth about 33 % of the overall CRC, and second and third are worth 67 %.

To get a 34.0 R-score, tugua needs 38.08 during the next two terms, not 36.

That being said, it will be really hard to catch up.

Tugua, chill, do your best, see what happens and let natiure take its course. I also went to Marianopolis, my grades did not cut it for going directly to med. The detour to UG has been fabulous, I have matured, am a far better student, have has amazing exposure to patients as part of my studies that have a clinical dimension and thru being an EMS first responder. Enjoy the journey, do your best and it will happen.

i don't know how hard u r willing to work. but i started off as a 28 and pretty much stayed around their for the rest of cegep years. what i would say is try ur best its not impossible but u will have to work really hard. n i think if u do work that hard, the reward in the end is much better and satisfying. but do know that its not only the marks that matter. there was one guy at our cegep with an r score of around 36 who didnt get in at mcgill but got in at french med school.

i don't know how hard u r willing to work. but i started off as a 28 and pretty much stayed around their for the rest of cegep years. what i would say is try ur best its not impossible but u will have to work really hard. n i think if u do work that hard, the reward in the end is much better and satisfying. but do know that its not only the marks that matter. there was one guy at our cegep with an r score of around 36 who didnt get in at mcgill but got in at french med school.

True, it’s not all about grades at all- personal characteristics, shown through ECs, community involvements, etc, matter a lot for Mcgill (not sure for the 2 other universities besides Laval, although it should also in my personal opinion...). In fact, Mcgill has been refusing students with the highest r-score from our Cegep for three consecutive years now- and that without even offering them an interview (Source: two third year medps).

• 3 months later...

Do your best, Pre-Med is a big lottery anyway and R-score is only one of the luck numbers! Just don't slack in your chem labs and you'll be fine!;) ;)

Plus, there's a reason there's pre in pre-med, you can still get in the normal way through undergrad. Doctors have told me that they didn't know anyone who really wanted to get in and couldn't, it's just a matter of how much you want it!

Keep up the work.

PS: Tim, WTH?

• 1 month later...

Archived