Premed 101 Forums

completely lost about where to start..

LostLamb

Hi all,

I am intending to write the MCAT again at the end of May as my current scores are stale for most schools. I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start. I took all the prereqs about 8-10 years ago and took the paper-based MCAT a year after I graduated. I had a reasonable score for that time but not compared to the 33+ scores that many people are generating today.

I am fresh out of a grad degree in cellular biology, so I am still in the 'researching and studying' frame of mind, but most of the first and second year sciences are foreign to me now. I have old Kaplan books and practice exams (2003) and some EK materials, but am wondering if they would be sufficient alongside doing AAMC practice exams?

I am already freaking out and I have barely cracked the books (started with OChem since it was my nemesis on the original exam). Are there some newer materials that I should put some money out for? I read over SDN's forums for advice but it seems that most people there are recent graduates or current undergrads, so their needs are somewhat different than mine because the content is fresher in their minds.

Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

LL

ps. I already intend to make practice a cornerstone of my preparation. I don't think I did enough practice exams the first time around.

I would avoid Kaplan like the plague.

For me, biology was the tough spot and the Princeton Review biology overview was an excellently written resource. My advice to you would be to focus on actual practice questions and write down problem areas. There are about 9 or 10 practice exams availible online, and I did one every day for about a week and a half before, excluding the final day. Be sure to warm up your brain with some medically related readings every once in a while.

For practice questions, use ones not from Kaplan as they were generally much more difficult than what was actually on the mcat, and not in a good way. For me, I only really studied hardcore in the final 3 or 4 weeks, so just do light review at first and try to figure out what exactly you need to focus on.

You'll be fiiiine.

I took the PR and it helped me just get on track and on a schedule. In taking the course, you would be right up-to-date with the latest material.

I used multiple prep books..and did most of the practice mcats. I found them to be indicative of how I did on the real mcat.

Using multiple books helps, and The Law has a thread on physics which I am sure is helping many.

I took kaplan in 2003 and agree that it probably wasn't the best course, but I will also admit that I perhaps could have worked harder with the resources they gave access to.

I can't afford taking another prep course and would rather put extra $$ into getting a tutor for my major areas of concern.

When you guys refer to PR, what texts do you recommend? Just the in class ones? the ones available at amazon.ca? I have borrowed a couple from the library but offhand don't know their titles.

Thanks for the input.

LL

You cannot get the Hyperlearning books without taking the class (legally anyway), so if you wanted TPR books you can try the "Cracking the CBT" book. I would also recommend EK 1001 series for practice questions which will help you to reinforce the material. Between the TPR CBT book, the EK 1001 books, and the EK subject books you should be good. If you happen to eventually have the cash to take a class you can't go wrong with the TPR Hyperlearning class.

Agree with O'Neill but are you not getting ahead of yourself?

You may get into med school this year in Alberta so should you not wait until early September to rewrite? Why put yourself through all this again unless you absolutely have to? Think positive!

Haha..HopefulMed you have a great memory! ;)

I know it sounds crazy but I feel the need to cover all my bases. Further, I need to know that I will have additional chances to rewrite in time for next year should I not get lucky in 'interview roulette' and blow my early summer attempt at the MCAT.

I'd rather put the time in now (since I have lots of it!) and then cancel my sitting instead of scrambling to study and find a seat later in the summer.

I am trying to think positive, though...really!! really I am!! ;)

Again, I appreciate all the advice and well wishes.

LL:D

Just my thoughts:

Physics --> use PR, followed by EK for extra tips and brush ups

Biology --> use EK (if biology is not your forte, use PR instead)

Organic chemistry --> use EK (PR is fine for organic chemistry as well but EK is more concise and highlights some patterns that PR doesn't)

Verbal --> use EK (DEFINITELY AVOID KAPLAN VR!)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, there is a lot of Kaplan hate!

I wrote for the first time last summer. I self taught from the Kaplan book (my budget does not include MCAT courses lol), and I really liked it! I felt like each section was comprehensive without being overly long and verbose, and the review sheets at the back were awesome.

Aside from that, I bought a few practice tests from the AAMC, and ended up being happy with my score.

But I guess that different things work for different people.

As for a study tip, I found what really helped me was to schedule out times to study each section. I started studying about 2.5 months before the test, and would set aside a certain number of weeks for each section, based on how much I struggled with it. I didn't end up sticking with my schedule 100%, but it really helped me stay on track and not neglect one section over another.

Good luck :)

Archived