Premed 101 Forums

Examkrackers 1001 ... worth the hipe?

Adventurous09

I used the physics, gen chem and orgo 1001 books for extra practice and to drill concepts into my head. I found physics most helpful because that is where I had the least confidence. It definitely helped me to gain confidence and it worked out well for me.

I would go to the 1001 books if you have extra time and feel like you need a bit of practice with specific concepts from the lectures. The questions are not in MCAT format.

Good luck!

I think it depends on how strong you are in those subjects.

E.g. I'm stronger in biology so I found the Princeton Review Biology section overly detailed - it was a pain to read. But, it is very thorough though on the flip side. Princeton Review also reads easier imo for the biology sections - the sentences flow like a story where as the EK biology seemed more disconnected. Overall, the EK biology is a good review if you have a strong grasp of biology.

For the EK physics, I absolutely hated it but that's probably because my physics was very rusty. The PR physics is thorough and much easier to understand given the numerous physics examples they use. I suggest using the PR physics first (if you aren't any good at physics like myself) and then using EK physics to get extra tips and for brush ups.

The organic chemistry section for PR was overly detailed. I really didn't like the OC section for PR. The organic chemistry for EK is great - it's very condensed (only 100 pages from what I remember)...because honestly, when I went into the MCAT exam...I didn't remember most of the chemical reactions anyway...

The verbal section for PR is pretty bad imo. The practice VR questions for PR in the BOOK are not reflective of the actual MCAT VR (Kaplan's VR is even worse...avoid Kaplan VR at all costs). However, the VR question for PR's mock MCAT tests are pretty decent. The good thing w/ EK's VR questions is that they test a lot more on holistic ideas/concepts...which is the basis of VR questions. And you get a lot of passages as well.

Hope that helped!

• 3 months later...
I used the physics, gen chem and orgo 1001 books for extra practice and to drill concepts into my head. I found physics most helpful because that is where I had the least confidence. It definitely helped me to gain confidence and it worked out well for me.

I would go to the 1001 books if you have extra time and feel like you need a bit of practice with specific concepts from the lectures. The questions are not in MCAT format.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response but what do you mean by "The questions are not in MCAT format"? i.e. what format is it in??

They aren't bad to give you extra problems but I found they were too regimented with what EK teaches and so they weren't great for actually preparing you for writing MCAT style problems. The multiple choice would go for stretches of asking you the same question over and over again, and then later on would leave out more difficult problems that would extend your understanding of concepts. That and I have a hard time respecting an organization that allows you to buy their books, boasts about how wonderful they are, acknowledges that there are numerous mistakes in both certain questions and in the solutions, and then makes you pay an extra fee to see those corrections.

Archived