Premed 101 Forums

white coat ceremony email ;)

Guest spiritgirl

Guest Steve U of T

Apparently there's some sort of symbolism behind wearing a white coat, so they have a ceremony where we don ours for the first time.

Can any of the upper year students give some tips on the sizes of these coats? I wear a size 40 jacket, and when it comes to generic sizing, I go with medium for a snug fit or large for a loose fit, although that's in mens sizes. These coats would appear to have unisex sizing, and the email also says they run a bit large. Should I go with medium? Large? Something else?

Guest chiapet921

hi there~

good stuff...the white coat ceremony...let's answer the question first...I usually wear a large T-shirt size, but went with a medium for the white coat and its still a bit loose...you may think that you'd never wear them again but think again: when you get the chance to do observerships in 1st and 2nd year, there're times when you should wear it (makes you look more professional, especially with my experience in a family medicine clinic, since the doctor's there all wore coats)...

the ceremony itself is a bit long, and the stuff that they say in it you may not remember as soon as you step out of the room, but that feeling when you go up there and get your coat really drives home the point that you're about to start a new chapter in your lives...its like an initiation of sorts...

:)

Guest kapow44

Does anyone know if the ceremony is in the morning? I think my parents want to come but I'd feel bad making them drive 2 hours just to be sent home right after the ceremony :)

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

I'm pretty sure it starts around ten-ish, with registration at nine, but I forget where I heard that. While looking for something else, I came across this post (1), which gives an outline of what happens at the ceremony. Thought y'all might be interested. It sounds like the interview-weekend sandwiches will be making another appearance, which makes the whole ceremony worthwhile right there...

Cheers,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFC1S1j/HNgbK3bC2wRAmEhAJ9W5R/L3i4v9gvWwSHU/T5eQbMLegCgh3zC

fhsxijv8bgLpqwaVJmBr0fY=

=0A1U

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

(1) aneliz description of White Coat Ceremony.

Guest UTMed07

I wrote a little thingy on white coat ceremonies... complete with references of course. :)

The White Coat Ceremony (WCC) is a relatively new ritual in the USA that marks entrance into medical school, dental school, pharmacy school and some schools of the Allied health professions. It originated in Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1993[1] and involves a formal "robing" or "cloaking" of incoming medical students in (laboratory) white coats, the garb physicians have traditionally have worn for over 100 years.[2]

WCCs typically address the issue of medical ethics and praise the incoming students for their success in gaining admission to medical school[3], the first step to entering the profession of medicine and often a significant accomplishment. Family and friends are typically invited. Over 100 medical schools in the USA now have a WCC and many students now consider it a rite of passage when entering medicine.

The ritual is thought to reflect the American tradition of pledging allegiance to the flag.[4] According to some, it has taken on a quasi-religious significance, that symbolizes a "conversion" of a lay person into a member of the medical profession and is similar to a priest's oath to priesthood.

The Spread of White Coat Ceremonies

Since starting in the USA, several medical schools in countries outside of the USA (Israel, Canada, UK) have also started holding WCCs. Starting in 1995, US pharmacy schools started holding WCCs. In 2003, a survey found that the majority of US pharmacy schools hold WCCs.[5]

Criticisms of the White Coat Ceremony

Some have criticized WCCs as events of congratulation and self-congratulation and have suggested that WCCs underline the significance and power associated with the white coat, while de-emphasizing the responsibilities and obligations of the physicians which wear them. A number of critics believe WCCs create a sense of entitlement to trust and respect that is unhealthy and in turn may foster an elitism that separates patient from care giver.[6][7]

References

1. ^ Huber SJ, "The white coat ceremony: a contemporary medical ritual." J Med Ethics 2003;29:364-366. Full Text

2. ^ Jones VA, "The White Coat: Why not Follow Suit?" JAMA. 1999;281:478. Full Text

3. ^ Huber SJ, "The white coat ceremony: a contemporary medical ritual." J Med Ethics 2003;29:364-366. Full Text

4. ^ Sritharan K et al., "Medical oaths and declarations." BMJ 2001;323:1440-1441. Full Text

5. ^ Brown DL, Ferrill MJ, Pankaskie MC., "White coat ceremonies in US schools of pharmacy." Ann Pharmacother. 2003 Oct;37(10):1414-9. PMID 14519030

6. ^ Russell PC., "The White Coat Ceremony: turning trust into entitlement." Teach Learn Med. 2002 Winter;14(1):56-9. PMID 11865752

7. ^ Veatch RM, "White coat ceremonies: a second opinion." J Med Ethics 2002;28:5-6. Full Text

• 1 month later...
Guest chiapet921

Hi!

Most of us last year wore shirt and tie...don't know about the suit thing, but shirt, tie and pants should be more than enough, since o-week stuff starts in the afternoon...(at least it did last year)...

Smart casual is the way to go...:)

Archived