Premed 101 Forums

Pathology job market in Canada- does it suck?

Everyone also told me that there was a shortage as well (excluding places like Vancouver) - I guess it depends on how you define rural (some people tell me they don't want to live outside of Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal and consider Edmonton/Ottawa too small). I would note that the job market tends to be cyclical (lack of jobs -> fewer people entering field -> relative shortage of people), and things can change a lot from the beginning of medical school to the end of fellowship. At present time, a quick glance at the careers section of the CAP shows a few job listings in southern Ontario, and I know several recent pathology grads who are currently employed in a city of about a million. Also, if you're including radiation oncology on your list, I don't see why you shouldn't include pathology..

I'm curious about something. Everyone's always saying that there's a shortage of pathologists in Canada, but I've been talking to some today that say that finding a job in Canada that is not rural, or in a crappy province like Manitoba or New Brunswick, is near impossible.

I've also heard that because Ontario offers a very high starting salary, all of the positions are basically filled so if you want to practice in Ontario you can't.

And I've been told that in NFLD it's hard to find work because all of the unemployed American pathologists are coming to NFLD to work and get super-paid.

So what's the deal? I tell students to consider path but if the job market is going to be so limited I'm taking it off of my list of hidden gem specialties.

Lol and maybe even ''crappy provinces'' wouldn't want you !

many residents end up working where they did their residencies. public job postings represent a small portion of true job openings. most senior path residents and PDs i've spoken to say the job market is pretty good for the next few years. this may change and it's hard to predict too far down the road.

most senior path residents and PDs i've spoken to say the job market is pretty good for the next few years. this may change and it's hard to predict too far down the road.

Always conflicting stories. Also through the grapevine, but some senior residents are worried and/or are having difficulty finding a job. Again, I don't know the specifics, so I don't know if they have narrow criteria.

Archived