Premed 101 Forums

Windsor

Guest MDintraining

Guest MDintraining

Hi,

If you do electives/clerkship in Windsor, are you anywhere near the university there? I am trying to get an idea as to what living arrangements are like.

Thanks,

M

Guest adlinner

Hey how's it going

I'm doing my all of my clerkship next year in Windsor. If you pull up maps.google.ca, the two Windsor teaching hospitals are at Erie and Oullette (Hotel Dieu) and Tecumseh and Walker (Met); these are considered in the "Center" region, just south of downtown which faces the Detroit River. The university is way west at University and Huron Church. Most of us are living close to the hospitals since there's no teaching at the university campus. No more student ghetto! We have some people living along Oullette, some people on the river a bit east of Walker, and the part-timers all get free residence on Byng Rd by the Met. It takes about 5-10 minutes to drive between the two hospitals as I find the traffic is much easier to navigate in Windsor than in London.

In London, as you probably know, the four hospitals UH, St. Joe's, South St and Vic/Parkwood are in a straight line North to South that's about 20-30 min between UH and Vic. I would have lived near the university and it would have taken about 25 minutes each way for my rotations at Vic.

Where are you in your medical training? Any other questions I can help you answer?

Best,

Daren

Guest aneliz

You will only be living in the byng road houses if you are on surgery... otherwise you will be living in Parker house, part of the Canterbury college residences on Sunset Ave. (on the UofW campus).

Guest adlinner

Hey Andrea,

I have been known to be wrong, but my understanding from my last conversation with the Windsor admin is that next year they will house all the part-timers on Byng and the other housing will no longer be available to clerks in Windsor.

Best,

Daren

P.S. For others: If you are a full-timer you have to find your own housing.

Guest UWOMED2005

I was on Byng Rd for Obs/Gyn this time last year. But things very well could have changed in the past year, considering how new the Windsor program is.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

If what adlinner says is true, then that will be totally awesome- nice housing, 100% rent-free and right across the road from the hospital- totally sweet for rolling out of bed at 7:50 AM (already in your scrubs of course) to make 8 AM OR times!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest aneliz

Things may have changed, but the last I heard, there wasn't enough space for everyone at the Byng road houses, given the increasing number of residents that are also in Windsor. I was told that the residents would be given priority for the Byng Road houses and that the clerks would largely be housed elsewhere...except for the surgery clerks that need to be that close to the hospital for call purposes. You never know though, things are constantly changing... maybe they got some more houses?

Archived