Premed 101 Forums

Research Scholarships

Indicula

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to shine a light on a couple of research scholarships I could look up and apply for. This is my first year at UofT undergrad and I suspect my cGPA will be around 3.7-3.8. I messed up at the beginning but I'm trying my best to work my way back up.

I understand my GPA would probably put me out of the competition for NSERC but can some give me a couple of other options?

Thank you in advance!

Hey Indicula,

Actually, I think a 3.7/3.8 GPA is pretty competitive for a NSERC USRA (undergrad summer studentship). Now it does depend on your first semester grades, as I think the deadline is coming up very soon, and I think decisions are made before the second semester grades are official. Give it a try, you have nothing to loose. ;)

UofT also has a great list of studentship opportunities (though I'm not sure if they're up to date):

http://www.medresearch.utoronto.ca/misc_attach_pdfs_etc/10Studentship_in_progress02dec09.htm

Merck Frosst Canada (pharmaceutical company) has a summer student employment program: http://www.merckfrosst.ca/mfcl/en/corporate/careers/students_recent_grads/summer_student_opportunities.html

Good luck!

Duckie

Thank you so much for your reply+for the links!

I only had two half-courses last semester (the remaining three were full-year) and they averaged to a 3.15 so I probably wouldn't be able to apply this year :( My last few tests were near perfect though (I think I rediscovered my work habits) so I think I can still save myself in my full year courses :D It's nice to know that I have a shot at it for next year.

Hey Indicula,

Actually, I think a 3.7/3.8 GPA is pretty competitive for a NSERC USRA (undergrad summer studentship). Now it does depend on your first semester grades, as I think the deadline is coming up very soon, and I think decisions are made before the second semester grades are official. Give it a try, you have nothing to loose. ;)

UofT also has a great list of studentship opportunities (though I'm not sure if they're up to date):

http://www.medresearch.utoronto.ca/misc_attach_pdfs_etc/10Studentship_in_progress02dec09.htm

Merck Frosst Canada (pharmaceutical company) has a summer student employment program: http://www.merckfrosst.ca/mfcl/en/corporate/careers/students_recent_grads/summer_student_opportunities.html

Good luck!

Duckie

I was wondering how everyone is finding supervisors for research. My classes are all so large and I don't really know any of my profs. (and so far, they are the only people I know who are conducting research.) Do you advise just visiting their offices and introducing yourself when they're there?

You will not get an NSERC if your in 1 st year. Apply to a ROP299. I think all the other summer research positions are closed by now.

Yah, my GPA would be terribly low anyways :(. I'm hoping to apply next year.

I was thinking about ROP299. Did any of you guys ever do the course? If I take it during the school year, do universities consider it part of the "5-full course load" or would it have to be extra? I was also thinking about how they would mark in it....would it be a course that's possible to get a 4.0?

You will not get an NSERC if your in 1 st year. Apply to a ROP299. I think all the other summer research positions are closed by now.

There are literally hundreds of researchers at any university...a lot of them don't recruit students though CIHR/NSERC etc. Just e-mail a bunch of PI's who's work interests you...and if they have some extra funding with a small project available, they might take you.

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to shine a light on a couple of research scholarships I could look up and apply for. This is my first year at UofT undergrad and I suspect my cGPA will be around 3.7-3.8. I messed up at the beginning but I'm trying my best to work my way back up.

I understand my GPA would probably put me out of the competition for NSERC but can some give me a couple of other options?

Thank you in advance!

NSERC don't they look at your AVERAGE instead of GPA?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived