Premed 101 Forums

Am I doomed???

MDMAYBE

I would love some advice: It has been 16 years since I did any university chemistry or biology - and it was only first year courses then. I have never taken biochemistry or physics. I am pretty intelligent but my undergrad was many years ago.

Am I crazy to even attempt the MCAT??? Will months of taking prep courses and immersing myself in prep-guides bring me even close to getting a decent score?

Any similar experiences that you can share? Any comments?

My first choice of school is Dalhousie - they do not have specific pre-req courses and their website doesn't mention an expiry on undergrad courses. I have also completed a graduate degree within the last five years.

Still intimidated by chemistry and physics -

My first choice of school is Dalhousie - they do not have specific pre-req courses and their website doesn't mention an expiry on undergrad courses. I have also completed a graduate degree within the last five years.

Still intimidated by chemistry and physics -

You can do this. If you put in the time and effort and study diligently, you can do it. I feel at a disadvantage as I'm studying for the MCAT with only grade 11 physics right now. But I'm plowing through it. Just try your best if this is what you want and have no regrets.

Whether or not to take a prep course depends on what kind of learner you are - I personally would get very little value from a prep course, because I learn better by myself...

if you REALLY immerse yourself in the material for a few months (I'd say around 4, given that you're going to have learn learn the basics all over again, plus a lot of new material), you can get a good score - provided you are intelligent... the material itself isn't *difficult*... if you are able to understand science well, the material isn't hard to grasp - the MCAT more so tests your critical thinking and problem solving abilities... the one thing you may have difficulty with, having no previous experience, is organic chem (at least from the prep books)... from what I have seen, the prep books overview of organic chem is very broad and basic, and you can't really learn organic chem in a broad/basic sense, in my opinion... maybe start reading up on organic chem basics beforehand, if you have time, to establish a better base? that said however, organic chem isn't a huge part of the tests, and sometimes that questions are in fact basic, but nevertheless...

I am in exactly the same boat as you as it has been 14 years for me. I find that I need more time than probably the average writer since I'm pretty rusty in some concepts (especially Physics). I have a BSc and 2 post grad degrees. I'm planning on writing in April or May depending on how my practice tests go.

For full concept review:

Bio: ~3 weeks (2-3 hours a day/6 days a week)

Chem: 4 weeks (same)

Physics: 4 weeks (same)

Orgo: (not sure since haven't gotten there yet but I'm guessing 3 weeks)

That adds up to 14 weeks and that's not factoring in practice test time. Of course, everyone is different. I am doing a self-study armed with plenty of practice materials and videos to watch.

So I would say go for it. It's not that hard to go from 7s to 10s (but probably much harder to go from 10s-12s after a such a long break from undergrad). It just requires some hard-work and determination. Little by little you will get there. If I can do it, I bet you can!

Mdmaybe, don't be intimidated! Just give yourself extra time to learn what you don't know. Instead of studying for 3 months for the MCAT, take 5 months. Whenever you find something in a prep book that you don't understand, look it up. Don't forget that you have a lot of other knowledge besides just physics and chem, and you're obviously a smart person, so you can do this. Remeber that you don't need to know absolutely everything about physics or chemistry, just the topics that will appear on the MCAT. I used the Examkracker books with no prep course and found them extremely helpful, so maybe look into that. Work hard and you're on par with everybody else!

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

I am currently working as an emergency nurse practitioner and this potential change of career into medicine seems like a daunting task.

As I am sure you all can understand - it is such a sacrifice to spend hundreds of hours studying for an exam when a great mark still doesn't carry the promise of a med school placement. Oh well - I am going to crack the MCAT prep guides and see where this path takes me...

Archived