Premed 101 Forums

health care question

does ottawa usually ask health care q's?

also, are their ethical questions (and this question applies to other schools as well) medical in nature, or more morally based? i have been reading Doing Right, and I am realizing - knowing the "right" thing to do in many of cases requires a knowledge of legal precedence to some extent... I assume the questions they ask will be more along the lines of general ethical questions? or are we expected to have this medical ethics basis of knowledge in order to know the "right" thing to do...?

Depends on the panel, but there's a chance you will be asked health care q's...this can be based on public, private or two-tier system idea. You may also get q's regarding the current public healthcare system, but they are not going to scrutinize you for detail...just know the basic concepts, pros and cons of our system in comparison to any others you may know (i.e. US private).

As for the ethical questions...I went into my interview without preparing for legal precedence of varying circumstances. You are not going to be tested on how well you know the legal system in Canada, but if you try to portray that you are in anyway proficient in this field, then you may get grilled. So just be honest if you don't know something...if they ask you an ethical question and you feel that you lack legal knowledge that you may need to help answer the question, then just ask them if there are any legal issues you have to take into account first.

In my experience, and from others I have talked to, ethical questions will not be concentrating on legal precedence...they are more based on how you approach a situation that may have varying opinions and/or dilemmas. Just make sure to be aware that there are varying sides, try to list the pros and cons, and if they ask you, you can lean towards one side over the other based on your own beliefs and/or values.

Agreed, I knew the legal rules for most ethical questions and this resulted in me being asked a good 35 minutes of ethical questions. If you do not know say so, and be able to answer most ethical issues from principles as this shows you are able to reason which is more important than knowing legalities which can change from year to year.

But if you do have the opportunity to look up and remember some of the more basic legalities (i.e. is euthanasia legal in Canada, what is the age of consent for sex, etc.) then it might make you more comfortable.

Archived