Premed 101 Forums

UWO vs US

Guest ESC

In the spirit of all the help-me-choose-a-school posts, I'd really appreciate some input on this situation which I don't think has really been covered.

Trying to decide between Western and Wayne State right now; I know this is usually not a tough choice since most people would have an overwhelming desire to stay in Canada or if they wanted to go South, they'd go. I'm really torn though, for primary care I'd prefer to stay, but if (and a big if) I end up able to do something like radiology I would want to move to the US.

So I'm wondering if many students will go from UWO to a US residency and if it presents many significant challenges compared to training at a US med school. Is UWO well known to outside residency directors, and is the pass/fail grading a detriment at all?

FWIW, I really like Western's program and I've been taking courses here for the past year so I'm comfortable with the area. Conversely, the tuition savings isn't as critical because Wayne is actually closer to home. But being undecided as to which side of the border I'd like to eventually stay I'm trying to pick the situation that won't close any doors in a few years, when I do know.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Its interview time

Hey, I'll take your spot at Wayne:b . I interviewed there, put on waitlist, then rejected.

I'd rather choose Wayne because I want to move south. If its closer for you, you should just go there

Guest aneliz

Here is the deal:

If you go to a Cdn school, there is a much better chance that you will match in Canada. US grads are allowed into the first round of the match, but so far, they have not done well. If you have any desire to stay in Canada, go to a Canadian school.

As for the US match, there are usually a bunch of UWO students in the US match each year. Usually they do quite well.

I have no idea how the UWO grading system impacts your US match application... however you will still have USMLE scores that can be used by US program directors.

Bottom line:

It is much easier to match to a US residency from a Cdn med school than it is to match to a cdn residency from a US med school.

If you have any desire to stay in Canada (or are at all undecided) I would go with the cdn school.

Archived