Premed 101 Forums

Grade Conversion (UBC) and competitve GPA for OOP

Guest Paulchemguy

Guest Paulchemguy

Hi all,

I have already emailed admissions but haven't gotten a reply after a week, so I'm just wondering if anyone have info on how Mcgill converts UBC grades and what a competitive GPA for OOP is.

Many thanks,

Paul

Guest 1984MD

Since the UBC grades are in percentages (am I correct?), the way I believe that they are converted is according to McGill's %-GPA conversion table. In all our McGill undergrad classes, profs submit a mark that out of 100 (or a percent grade) and then they are converted into a GPA as shown:

A = 4.0

85 - 100%

A- = 3.7

80 - 84%

B+ =3.3

75 - 79%

B =3.0

70 - 74%

B- =2.7

65 - 69%

C+ = 2.3

60 - 64%

C =2.0

55 - 59%

D = 1.0

50 - 54%

F (Fail) =0

0 - 49%

To find your cGPA (what McGill med uses), you multiply the gpa for each class by the amount of credits that class is worth. You do this for all your classes, until you get a sum. You then divide this sum by the total amount of credits to get your cGPA.

For example, if I took 3 classes in all my undergrad:

class 1: 3 credits (85% grade=4.0)

Class 2: 4 credits (71% grade=3.0)

class 3: 2 credits (91% grade=4.0)

my cgpa would be ( (3*4)+(4*3)+(2*4)) / (3 +4 +2)= 3.56

remember though, if you an OOP applicant, you will need tohave a cGPA of at least over 3.8 (or have fabulous MCAT scores) to be competitive!

Guest 1984MD

I would still apply, especially if your MCAT scores are high and/or if you have really great extracurriculars. It nevers hurts to apply (you never know what will happen!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lostpremeddie

on that note, do they take into account ALL your courses? B/c i have been taking >5 credits/semester (not voluntary... its a real hell) do they drop your lowest ones?

Guest medicator007

The cGPA at McGill takes into account ALL courses attempted during the course of your undergraduate studies

Medicator

Archived