Premed 101 Forums

length of elective- LOR

Katdb

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any posts through the search function. Is a 2 week elective long enough for a good letter of reference for Family medicine, or is 3 weeks a better length? I'm debating between doing more shorter electives, or fewer but longer electives...

Thanks for any advice :D

Katdb

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any posts through the search function. Is a 2 week elective long enough for a good letter of reference for Family medicine, or is 3 weeks a better length? I'm debating between doing more shorter electives, or fewer but longer electives...

Thanks for any advice :D

Katdb

I got 2 LORs from 2 week electives...only because there was no core rotation in the specialty I wanted to pursue. Is it possible to get LORs from family docs during your core rotation? It will probably be a stronger letter than one from a 2-wk elective. I also used letters from my core rotations simply because the doctors knew me better and I worked directly with them instead of with a resident.

I echo with everyone else's response.

Two weeks are enough if well planned. Try to spend as much time with 1 preceptor. However, I've managed to get strong reference letters by working with some preceptors for less than a week. It, I think, really depends how much quality time you spend with each staff physician and how much they get to know you within a given time.

When I realized I had less than a week to spend with some docs, I tried to maximaize the time by going to their clinics while working on the consult service with them, and also showing interest by taking up a small project.

Hope that helps! :)

Like everyone says, two week electives are pretty standard. Your staff know that you need a reference letter from the rotation and will usually ensure that they spend enough time observing you to be able to write a letter.

I do think it's important to consider your personality as well. If you're somebody who takes a bit longer to get settled and comfortable in a clinical setting, then consider whether a three week elective would be particularly helpful for you.

Archived