Premed 101 Forums

Sold my soul to the academic devil!!!!

Guest hoomsy

Guest hoomsy

I just accepted MD-PhD at McGill as of today May 24th. Man...I'm totally freaked out now! 7 more years here I come!

Hoomsy

Guest hoomsy

God I dunno...I like biotech a lot...I kinda invented something in my masters.

Don't laugh BUT....there's this prof at U of T working on surgical procedures in Zero G. THAT would be interesting! I've always had a dream of being a space caddet.

Columbia (the one that blew up) had an MD-PhD on it. hmmmmmmmm.... Surgeon on the Moon (gonna need it when the US puts a military base up there hahahaha) or on Mars...or International Space Station....can someone dream or what?

Hoomsy

Guest noncestvrai

This is really nice Hoomsy, congrats.

May I ask how old you are?

7 years + 5 surgery + 2 some fellowship...

That's a $hitload, but you do what you like I guess...

If I'm still into IR, NIR or if I choose to do IC I'll be like 37-38 when I start earning real money...

I just thought a bit about it now...a classmate of mine is in the MDPhD...just finishing her thesis, which took 4 years...she's more into family med, which is far from a bad choice!

Good luck in med I!

noncestvrai

Guest hoomsy

thanks all...

well im 23. i just finished my masters...

the thing is...i can't "sit still". i couldn't see myself as just a cardiac surgeon (that's what i want to do)...i feel like i would get bored. so i dunno...i got into this program thinking maybe i can turn this into something even MORE exciting...so we'll c. by accepting the program nothing is really set it stone. you don't start the PhD part till 2008 and everything before it is all the same....

gracias..im PUMPED for med1. when do we get our white coats? i already got my stethoscope picked out...Littman Master Cardiology...I found it for 138$ US no taxes!!! but a little shipping...

Hoomsy

Guest 1984MD

Hey Hoomsy,

I'm also counting down the days until August 15th! I'm so excited to start. I got my own brand new beautiful copies of Harrison's Principle's of Internal Medicine and Cecil's textbook of medicine as a gift from one set of grandparents for getting into med school. My other grandparents got me a really cool leather "doctor's bag" as soon as they found out back at the end of april, although I dont have any medical equipment to put in there for awhile :( It was very funny because both sets of grandparents were arguing over who gets to give the doctor's bag and one set of grandparents "won". I guess they are really excited about the med school thing :lol (although I explained to them that they should have held out on these particular purchases for awhile...)

on another note, anyone else attending faculty of science "A" convocation next week?

Guest hoomsy

awwww...that's awesome.

honestly with that it's totally just the thought that makes you feel good. plus the idea that in the future you WILL be filling that bag up with medical goodies.

i guess my only serious purchase so far was getting a new laptop. but apparently using a laptop in medical school (like IN class) is stupid since we are given an amazing stack of notes. i was told by other med students that we should only go over them before class and during class the only writing you do is to maybe jot down comments...that's it.

they said if you never used a laptop in undergrad...then there's no point to use one in med.

that's why i decide to get a HUGE 17 inch laptop! :) ..for those long hours at the law library...

god...this summer i'm SOOO bored. i had the idea of taking the entire summer of and relaxing. WOW...it gets boring. i should have gotten some form of job or activity to do. waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer before heading to the beach (i live like 15 min from the ocean).

would it be a good idea to shadow some doctors this summer? or is that going to be overkill?...i really just want something to do.

anyone feel like traveling to europe? haha

hoomsy

Guest noncestvrai

WHY WHY WHY BOTH Cecil's and Harrison's haha, still good to have one of them, but Harrison's is available on-line.

Most people get the Cardio III steth...

Before med I...travel, see the world, play sports, go hiking...

PLEASE stay out of the books/hospitals...unless you really like it, but suffice it to say that you'll have the chance to do it all while in med school.

noncestvrai

Guest 1984MD

ya, i know both Cecil's and Harrison's is overkill but they were so excited and as much as I repeatedly told them that I didn't need them (and that one of them is online), it didn't matter to them. they are so excited, i guess and they wrote a nice inscription/message on the inside so I guess every time I open up those books to prepare for small groups, I'll think of them :)

I'm still going to get a laptop although I didn't use one at all in undergrad (and don't REALLY need one for med), I think it will be nice to have one. I've decided on the IBM Thinkpad TItatium cause it looks pretty cool and it's pretty powerful. I'm just not ready to make the switch to a mac :lol

Hoomsy, I had exactly the same idea as you about wanting to shadow some doctors during the summer but I think I will wait awhile, although I just am so excited that I want to do somethign med school related this summer!!!!. I am working in a lab this summer (for only part of the summer, since I've been working there for over a year and want to finish some stuff up to get a paper submitted) then going on vacation! It's actually pretty nice cause now I only work a few hours/day with no weekends and still get paid as a full time, leaving lots of time during the day to hang out with friends, play tennis, etc...

Guest hoomsy

i know eh?

u can't wait to do "doctor things"....look for first available opportunity.

yeah i'm SOOO bored. i can't just pack up and leave for two months though. i still have some responsibilities...like work around the house. i told my mom i would paint the entire inside and outside...do electrical work....install shutters....put some flooring in etc....(oh ive never done any of this in my life...ive seen it done in theory). hahaha

i dunno...plus ive never really traveled to europe alone before....if i go for like 10-14 days....is that enough time? i can spare that i guess... if so what countries do people recommend to go? (I'm in Boston, Ma right now).

-Hoomsy

Guest 1984MD

Hey Hoomsy,

10-14 days is ok, it depends how many places you want to vist. I went to France not too long ago and spent 7 days in Paris and then took a plane and flew to the Cote D'Azure and spent 7 days there (in Nice) and had more than enough time in both cities to see everything.

If you are looking for countries to visit, you can get some good prices on flights to either London or Paris. Both are amazing cities to visit but I think that Paris would probably be more busy that usual due to the influx of tourists coming to Paris because of the Da Vinci Code movie. Eitherway, there's tons of things to see in either of these cities. What type of vacation are you looking for (do you want to see lots of museums, etc.. or are you looking for a place to relax). I visited Spain not long ago and had such an amazing time. I don't think that you can go wrong with any European city you visit, it just depends what type of vacation you want. This site: travel.yahoo.com/ may help you in picking a city to visit.

Guest noncestvrai

World Cup! Maybe you won't get a place in the stadium but, it may still be crazy in the cafes...

If I were you I would go to nice places like Spain, Italy, Greece...to get some sun, and for the nice things to see:p

Man, my summer before med was like the best ever. I went to England, Belgium, Netherlands (Amsterdam:hat ), Germany, Sweden and France...with my backpack and my Canadian smile and flag hehe:)

My next summer = USMLE:rolleyes + later clerkship...:eek

noncestvrai

Archived