Premed 101 Forums

Victory Lap?

Guest WhiteTiger

Guest 1985SS

They don't like it. I spoke to a med student of mine who is also on the admission board a few months back when I was considering all my options. She said its better to take 2 years off and do a masters. But that was her take..

Guest WhiteTiger

Ahem.

Would a second major be viewed any differently?

I find I don't quite enjoy the field I am studying in right now, and would not want to Master in it. Nor would I want to continue down that path should I not get accepted into med...

Guest noncestvrai

Do what you like.

I thought they used the last 90 credits for the cGPA...but someone correct me if I am wrong.

The influence of a Master if you don't have a decent cGPA is minimal, anyways it was stated when I applied...

noncestvrai

Guest trustwomen

A second major (i.e. another whole degree) might be viewed differently. Mine was. Then again, my first degrees weren't science (and were 8-12 years ago).

From what I was told last year by admissions, you could start another degree, get your 30-credit head start (no electives to take) and your current overall GPA would be counted as your first year GPA (i.e. the transfer credits) of the new degree. Your two (further) years of study would then be years two and three, then they recalculate. I don't think it's the last 90 credits per se.

Whitetiger, was your average so low that you'd need to do all this, instead of just applying again next year? (That isn't a judging statement, remember who's saying it) ;) There is a peak in applications right now, due to the Ontario double cohort; next year might be slightly less competitive. You could also retake the MCAT in August (or next April), if that was your issue.

Guest WhiteTiger

I don't think my cGPA is that low, but it's not the range where it's competitive enough though. I figure by grad it'll be around 3.63 or so...

And I got 36O on the MCAT, so that's not so worrysome...

Guest trustwomen

I think that is competitive enough. You would probably be better off spending your year doing something cool and memorable, that you could talk about at your next interview.

Guest MD2010

Check out the sticky thread, because someone with approximately the same GPA was asking me questions regarding the same thing. My GPA was 3.64 and MCAT 31 and I was accepted. I don't think you should do another degree or worry about your GPA, I think you could use your time to better perhaps other areas in your life/application.

Archived