Premed 101 Forums

Chances & Early Decision

Guest rapoune

Guest rapoune

Hey guys,

New to the board here... I am currently in U2 (3rd year) of undergraduate study at McGill in Microbiology & Immunology. I want to apply to McGill for medicine as it is my top choice for a variety of reasons. I am also a Quebec resident (born & raised!).

I know that McGill offers early decision to applicants and after speaking recently with someone from the admissions office they told me that I was elegible academically, but of course my extracurriculars and PS would also be taken into account. Mr. Dansereau also told me that if I were to get an early decision interview I'd have the most senior interviewers who are apparently a lot more "harsh".

I was wondering if anyone here has gone through early decision or who knows someone that got in through it. My GPA is currently 3.95 (hopefully to be around this by the end of the semester) and my MCAT is 33Q. From the looks of it, it seems as though there are applicants here with much higher MCAT scores so I am wondering if perhaps I am at a disadvantage if others are applying for early decision as well.

In terms of extracurriculars, I followed a doctor-shadowing program in my last year of high school (2002), worked at a camp for disabled children (muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy and others) for a summer (2003), volunteered at the Royal Victoria Hospital and Montreal Chest Hospital for a summer with the STEP program (2004), did some epidemological research with an HIV doctor at the MCI which I hope to get published (2005), volunteer for AIDS Community Care Montreal at their Drop-In resource center where I hold conversations and workshops with those infected and affected by HIV (2004-2006 and ongoing), and this year I will be starting my Honors Research thesis in HIV under an NSERC grant with one of my professors. Seeing as I have tried to involve myself with medicine and things medically and not-medically related will the admissions committee look favorably upon me despite my lower MCAT score?

I know a lot of you are busy with finals and application stress so any response would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rapoune

Guest AltGab

Hey Rapoune,

It seems that you have great extra-curriculars! You have definetly a good chance and I don't think that it would be disadvantageous to have an early decision interview (since it is supposed to be the same board of admission, and they have the same criteria of selection). Your MCAT marks seem very good also (I don't understand why you think it is low) and your GPA is certainly very good. You should take your chance and I believe that you will have the same chance in Early decision than if you would apply later! I hope this helps but since I didn't apply through the early decision process, it would be better to have an opinion from someone who had this experience :) . Hope you luck and success,

Gab

Guest trustwomen

You don't lose anything by applying for early decision. If they turn you down for early admission you are just put in the regular pool. Two people on this board (including myself) applied for early decision, were turned down, but got interviews with the regular pool. We're now awaiting final answers.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

Guest rapoune

Thanks for your quick replies AltGab and trustwomen! Regarding the MCAT, I know that my score is not "bad" per se, but I feel as if in certain regards it is not "competitive". For example, Queen's now has their cutoff at 33Q which is exactly what I have. I know the criteria are much different for McGill, but I most certainly feel if McGill were not an option I would be somewhat at a disadvantage. I know I could have performed much better on MCAT exam day, but for reasons which I won't discuss (cause it will just sound like excuses!), I underperformed. In any case thanks a lot for the replies!

If anyone else has anything to say I'd certainly like to hear it :)

Guest mstr splinter

If you decide to apply early decision, think about what your angle might be--i.e., what makes you special enough that you should be accepted right then and there. What have you done that truly sets you apart from other candidates? What accomplishments do you have that others won't?

It really doesn't hurt you to apply early decision if you're certain you want McGill, or have committments that prevent you from leaving the city. Otherwise, there's a lot to be said for seeing what's out there. Going to some other interviews can be worthwhile, if only to reinforce why you want to attend a given school in the first place.

Good luck and try to enjoy the process.

Guest rapoune

mstr splinter,

Although I agree somewhat with what you're saying, I think a big part of early decision is the fact that you are certain you want a specific school. I have had the opportunity to visit some med schools in the states, and although some had a positive impact on me, they were also extremely expensive, especially for a Canadian student. McGill specifically outlines that students who should apply for early decision should have a high academic record, which indicates that maybe they are looking for stronger academics but maybe similar extracurriculars and such as the regular bunch. I'm not sure... again I'm not McGill so I wouldn't know!

But thanks anyway for the info!

Guest mstr splinter

There's no way to say for certain what a successful early application depends on, but I think there's still an expectation that folks applying early decision will probably stand out for reasons other than having good marks & MCAT and wanting to the school above all others. After all, that describes many of the people who will regular decision.

Agreed that it's good to have a look around other schools, but there can be value in doing interviews and going through the application process, if for no other reason that to afford yourself backup options. But if you're 100% certain about McGill, of course, apply for early decision.

Hi,

I agree with Splinter--there really is value in interviewing at other schools if for no other reason than to affirm that McGill really is the perfect fit...as well, perhaps Trustwomen would be better able to address this--but if you apply for early decision, interview and are subsequently rejected, I don't think you are placed into the regular pool (i.e., you need to re-apply the following year)...thoughts?

-garp

Guest trustwomen

Rapoune, I am in province.

And I didn't get an early decision interview, I was just shunted into the main pool via a very polite email. Garp may be right that if you get an early decision interview & rejection you are done for that year. But if they decide you're not early decision material right from the get-go, like me, you're put in the regular pool. So there may be a risk involved if you are selected for an early interview - all things considered, I guess I'm glad I was in the regular pool.

I applied for early decision because McGill is definitely my first choice; my MCAT was good (although some have implied it's standard for McGill); and mostly because my volunteer/community/medical experience is very extensive (one might say exceptional) and I thought it would stand out. However, I only submitted my application in January - I was waiting for my fall grades to come in.

Only you can decide what you will do, Rapoune. If you are young and are not tied to Montreal by work and love (like I am, plus it's my ideal city), then maybe you should explore other options and follow Splinter's advice.

Best of luck.

Guest rapoune

To garp and trustwomen:

Just to let you know that if you get rejected after the ED interview you are still considered for the regular bunch. The only problem here is that your interview notes and everything about your ED application STAYS with you for your regular application, therefore your interviewers/reviewers know what went on before.

I think that McGill is a great fit for me and I will also try applying to other schools no doubt. I just feel like my 33Q will make me very borderline at other schools in Canada and the US. In fact I think it will probably be harder for me to get into a Canadian school than a US school, but that is just speculation. I know that in the US the MCAT is valued very highly so perhaps my 3.95 will not be considered as important.

Also trustwomen, did you ever inquire as to why you were rejected from ED? It just seems strange to me that with a high MCAT and good EC's that you'd be a good candidate. Was your GPA below McGill's average for accepted students? This may be a reason why they might have been hesistant, but that is not to say that you are not an excellent applicant (which has already been proven by the fact that you got an interview).

I'm also a little anxious about this "senior interviewer" situation that Mr. Dansereau described... sounds fierce to me. I know interviews at McGill are generally light-hearted but by the sounds of it it seems as though these guys can be ruthless! I'm wondering if they expect people with higher degrees to apply for ED as they have more challenges/things to ask about their academic career.

I'm a big believer that one doesn't need to go to Africa or to save the world in order to be considered for ED... I mean if one exhibits strong academics and continued interest and involvement in the medical profession why should one be rejected? I know you guys think that a successful ED applicant needs something "different", but I'm just wondering what this "different" thing is... there is a limit to what the adcom can expect from a young (I'm still 19) applicant who isn't even finished a bachelor's yet.

Guest trustwomen

"Also trustwomen, did you ever inquire as to why you were rejected from ED? It just seems strange to me that with a high MCAT and good EC's that you'd be a good candidate. Was your GPA below McGill's average for accepted students? This may be a reason why they might have been hesistant, but that is not to say that you are not an excellent applicant (which has already been proven by the fact that you got an interview)."

I never inquired, it would have seemed rude - especially since my notice that I was invited to interview came only a week after my turndown for ED... Part of me suspects that it was because my application was so late. My GPA is 3.74, not stellar but certainly in the average of what they accept, plus I work 32 hours/week while in school - which stops it from being higher. (One of my interviewers commented on this, I got the impression he was mentally adding .1 to my GPA or something). My MCAT was high (35S) but not superhuman or anything. In retrospect, I wish I'd studied hard for it, or taken all the prereq science classes beforehand (my MCAT story is bizarre)... I might have been able to be one of those 40+ freaks. :)

Overall, I'm glad I got the nice interviewers and not the harsh ones. I felt really pretentious even asking for early decision (I admit I mostly wanted to save the travel $$ to other interviews...) and was not terribly disappointed to have been turned down - again, the refractory period between that and my interview invite was small. But from what you describe, there is not much to lose by applying ED unless you're arrogant or socially unskilled (or interview badly for whatever other reason). I honestly have no idea as to your chances though. We'd have to hear from somebody that got in by ED to get more info.

EDIT: I almost forgot; there is another poster here with higher stats than me (3.85 and 36P I think) who was also turned down for ED interviews this year. So I don't think it's about numbers.

Guest rapoune

Hey trustwomen,

Interesting to hear of your story. After reading it, I feel even more insecure about my application :P You seem to be a strong applicant (and so did that other person), so I'm really unsure about what McGill expects. Mr. Dansereau seemed really nice and positive towards me when I spoke to him, but he did also mention that the EC's are also considered when granting the interview.

Here is an excerpt from the e-mail he gave to me a few months back:

"reetings Mr. Jordan Gagnon,

I am glad to see of your eagerness to pursue medical studies at McGill. To answer your questions, I would prefer to receive your application submissions only once the actual applications can be accepted: on or after September 1. I do realise, however that coordinating certain elements such as references may be easier over the summer. Simply ensure that your full name or --in your case-- your McGill ID number is included on the material.

Based on the information below, you show strong consideration for a decision above all others of your group. However, your request for an early decision should be notified only after your application has been submitted. What happens is when your file is marked ready for review, an answer of your eligibility for early consideration will be granted within 2 weeks.

I trust this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other concerns. Do keep an eye on our web site as this summer, we will revamp and post the 2007 application instructions which will hold significant changes.

Respectfully,

Michel Dansereau

Admissions Officer / Agent d'admission

Faculty of Medicine / Faculté de médecine

McGill University / Université McGill "

So I don't know what this means???

As for my MCAT, I'm starting to feel really bad about it. One of my friends with a 3.5ish GPA managed to score a 36 by even putting in all C's for 10 questions in verbal (we had the same version test and it was by far the hardest). I took a Kaplan course and for some reason did not do as great as I know I could have... However one good thing that came of this is that my MCAT teacher reccomended me to Kaplan for teaching and so I will be teaching Physical Sciences this summer (I got a 12 in this section). I worked full-time during the summer too while a lot of my peers did not and scored higher, so I guess that might have played a factor too? I'm wondering if the adcom will even notice this.

Guest MD2010

In terms of your MCAT, it seriously is not a significant factor in being accepted into McGill, given that you scored a 33. In terms of Early Decision, I really don't know. But, I do know that in general, if you are in province applying through the regular pool and have a 3.5 and a 30 you pretty much get an interview, for the most part. Two years ago, the admissions director told me they never go below 28, but they definitely do accept people with 28 and 29, just like they accept people with less than a 3.5. Usually however, if one item is lower then the other is higher. Anyway, the average incoming MCAT that is posted on the website right now from a couple of years ago is 30.4. In general, in the US and for McGill purposes (in province) a 30 is considered competitive, so you really don't need to be thinking about it anymore (I am referring to the regular pool of in province applicants, like I said I don't really know about early decision).

Hi,

Just to echo the words of MD2010 and to put things into perspective, you really do have nothing to worry about with respect to the regular decision program...discussions of improving upon a 33 MCAT score really does seem a bit silly considering it would be competitive with your GPA across Canada...in fact, my MCAT score was considerably lower than that and so I applied to the US as well and was fortunate enough to receive 11 interviews (Canada included)...again, I can't speak for ED, but just be confident that your scores are in fact competitive and just focus on putting together the best application package that you possibly can :-)

-garp

Guest rapoune

Thanks both Garp and MD2010 for your encouragement.

Just out of curiosity Garp, which schools did you apply to and which did you get interviews from? It would help to know as perhaps I can look more into these schools.

Not a problem!

In Canada--I applied to McGill, Ottawa, UofT and McMaster (hence my disappointing MCAT score)...I did not interview at Mac...

With respect to the US, I applied to most schools that would willingly accept applications from Canadians...(i.e., most were private with the odd state university)...I interviewed at SUNY (Syracuse), George Washington, Albany Medical College, Penn State, Rosalind Franklin, UCLA, New York Medical College and Dartmouth. My advice if applying to the states is to apply EARLY (i.e., send in your initial application for AMCAS in June and send back your secondaries ASAP)--I think that was one of the big reasons I had success in applying to the states...

good luck and feel free to post any other questions!

-garp

Guest McGill Angel

Hi,

If you are going to apply for early decision, I would think about it a lot before applying. The reason is that if you get an interview and don't get an acceptance, that interview sticks in your file. Unlike those who interview in March and have had (perhaps) practice interviewing at other schools, you wont have that advantage (which is ok for some people..). I know 11 people in my year who applied for early decision. ONe got an interview (they had a similar MCAT and slightly higher GPA, not sure about extracurrics but I assume they were the standard: hospital volunteering, etc...) but didn't get in after their interview. They said it went really well and they were REALLY optimistic about it but they didnt get in and their scores from that interview carried with them to the regular pool of applicants. One other person I know got an early decision acceptance in February (not sure about their stats), 2 of the rest were graduate students and the rest didn't get interviews and their GPA's were 3.90-3.99. Early decisionis nice thing but VERY few people get accepted this way. Most who do have EXTRAordinary stats and probably would have gotten accepted at ivy league schools in the states.

btw, did you go to VMC for high school? I graduated in '00 and I think I remember you from there.

Guest rapoune

Hey I sure did graduate from VMC... heh, funny to see someone else from there... didn't think many people from there could make it that far!

Hi Rapoune,

I received 1 US acceptance and then withdraw the rest of my applications once I was notified about McGill (unfortunately for those waiting, much earlier last year)...I always wanted to stay in Canada and there would have been only one school in the US that I interviewed at and would have potentially chosen over any Canadian school...but when it came time to making a decision, McGill's program suited me (both pre-clinical and clinical) as did Montreal :-)

-garp

Guest Eubert

hey rapoune,

seriously, dont worry about the 33 mcat. it's fine.

I got an interview for ED (got rejected but im in the regular pool now) and it wasnt *harsh* like some people are saying. It went alright. but then again, it's hard to tell. you always second guess yourself.

It's true that you get interviewed by the more senior members of the committee but these people also do the regular in province interviews as well. a friend of mine (who did the interviews during the march 13-22 dates) had the same interviewers as me. i only know of one person that got in with ED. mcgill angel, odds are we're thinking of the same person.

The decisions have been made for a while now... i just wish theyd TELL US.

You will find a god description of a person who was selected this year through ED in this forum under the Topic " McGill Early Decision Application". The last posting on this topic was 10/27/05. The net name of this person is "ilitvino". I think this person had a rather unusal and spectacular profile: MCAT: 37R and a PH.D in Cellular and Molecular Medicine from John Hopkin School of Medicine. Good luck.

Guest McGill Angel

eubert, ya, probably we are thinking of the same person. it's someone in the physiology program here at mcgill. I don't know what kind of stats they had but they must have been pretty impressive

Archived