Premed 101 Forums

mcat scores...should I bother applying?

Guest docofmedicine

Guest docofmedicine

So I really want to apply to McGill & would love to return to Montreal. I know I would make a strong applicant, aside from the dismal MCAT scores:

27R (8VR, 8PS, 11 BS) |I

But my GPA is 3.90. I've been volunteering at a hospital for the past 3 years, had several leadership positions in university and I am engaged in a research project at Vanderbilt U for the past 2 summers for which I can get great reccs. Although I'm attending an American university I'm still considered a QC resident. I've also taken the pain of an additional minor in French b/c I thought it might help.

I know that most of the students admitted have a combined MCAT score of 30. I'm not sure if McGill has cutoff for this year. Anyway, have there been students in the past with scores less that 30? Should I even bother applying? help me out here :(

Guest med2006McGill

I think there's no harm in applying, especially when you are a Quebec resident. I have heard that if your GPA is excellent and every other aspect of the application is excellent, then they might interview you with a score below 30. Certainly, Canadian schools don't place as much emphasis on MCAT scores as American schools. Why don't you try applying? If you want to increase your chances, you can also consider retaking the MCAT.

Guest cutieyellow

McGill has a written policy somewhere that the cutoff is 30, and that they will not accept anyone under that number. Therefore, with my 29Q, i didn't bother applying. I figured, what's the point, when the computer probably automatically generates rejection letters if you don't have those cutoffs (3.5 GPA, 30 MCATS).

THEN, of course, i find out that there were people that got 29s and that made it. Great. Therefore, my advice is, apply, you don't really have anything to lose except for money and time :) Which isn't that much if you get an acceptance letter!

Good luck !

CY

Guest noncestvrai

I know people in my class with sub-30 MCATs, but they have a very high GPA or something special.

I would apply if I were you especially if you are qualified as a Qc resident.

noncestvrai

Guest docofmedicine

Wow, thank you all for the encouragement! :P :p :P

I really had my doubts. Also when I called admissions, they recommended that I should apply b/c of my high GPA. So I'm going for it.

Another question - does McGill have rolling admissions? If not, then I wouldn't have to rush my application in b/c the deadline for QCers is in January, correct?

Guest McGillMed2010

mcgill does not have a rolling admissions policy. once applications are handed in on the 15th of january, they examine all the applications together

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Though its already been said, I would just reiterate that there is absolutely no harm in applying. In order to get an interview, 1/3 of your score is your MCAT, 1/3 is your GPA and 1/3 is the autobiographical sketch. Therefore, a sub-30 MCAT can definitely be offset by a great GPA and/or sketch (provided that you are in-province). I was also apprehensive about applying with a 28, but am having a great time!

Dont hesitate to ask questions!

-garp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest AltGab

I don't know if this can help, but on the website of the faculty it says:

"If I have an overall MCAT score less than the suggested 30, can I still apply?

If I have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) less than the suggested 3.5, can I still apply?

Students who have a lower score in one of the noted aspects are still eligible to apply, but must be aware of the significant level of competition involved. Students who have low scores in both the MCAT and CGPA are also eligible to apply, but should be fully aware that they will have a considerable challenge to prove their academic worth."

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/ad...ns/faq.htm

I hope this may help. As you can see, you can still apply even if your GPA or MCAT don't fit the corresponding standards (and that you still have amazing extracuricular...). Good luck,

Gab

Archived