Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Interviews Feedback

Guest 1985SS

Guest 1985SS

I wondering for those who already had their interview (like McGillMed2010), what was the main difference between the 2 interviews?

Tanks a lot! and hope it went well:)

Guest McGillMed2010

don't worry about the interviews. I spent SOOO much time preparing and stressing out and freaking out and really it was SOOO relaxed. I don't know what you mean about what was the difference between the two interviews... for me, both were MD's (actually both were in the same specialty). One isn't all that involved with mcgill (he has his own private practice) while the other is on the Executive committee of the admissions committee. The whole process was actually really not bad at all. you sit in this room and wait and there is lunch and drinks and tons of reading material (brochures and viewbooks). While you wait, Dr. Pickering talks about the curriculum and answers questions. In fact, I'm a bit nervous because after my first interview, he kept on asking if I had more questions and I kept on saying no because i said that all my questions were answered during the info session (i'm a bit nervous since he kept on insisting...). Dr. Pickering is really really nice and was so helpful. The Michel Dansereau came in to answer any questions. Then, people started being called for interviews. Some are really long and some were really short. my first one was like 20-25 min while the second was almost 50-60 minutes.

anyways, the point is that the interviews are really laid back and just be yourself (which is something medicator and everyone has been saying but I really didn't believe it until I experienced it myself).

Guest medicator007

Hmmmmmmm........

Permit to say:

I TOLD YOU SO :lol :rollin :eek

Anyhow good luck to those of you who have interviewed and for those of you yet to go. My advice stays the same, relax, be yourself and have fun.

Medicator

Guest McGillMed2010

yes, I guess I do deserve the "i told you so" :rollin

i was surprised that no ethical situations were given at all (I didn't receive any and neither did any of the other people who were all waiting in the room after their interviews to listen to the talk about the curriculum). Apparently, they are really changing their focus to admitting applicants based on their personality (more so than before). That is also why they increaed the amount of interviews granted as well i think. anyways, after listening to the talk today, i just realize even more how much i want to go to mcgill med next year and although i don't think my interviews went all that well, im hoping that it all works out.

good luck everyone

Guest medicator007

Let me give you some advice.... Don't read into your interviews at all. Don't try to analyze them. Don't rethink every question and answer and wonder how they will be interpreted. The reason for this? People stink at interpreting how they're interviews went. Plenty of people who 'Bombed' the interview got accepted and plenty of people who 'aced' them aren't in medicine.

As hard as it is... let it go. Find something to kill the time until you find out and STOP thinking about it.

Listen to my advice this time,

Medicator

Guest Eubert

I agree with medicator. theres no use second guessing yourself afterwards. We just have to wait it out till may (is it may?). does anyone know when the responses are supposed to come out?

Guest McGill Angel

so.....my interview was today. it was pretty easy going. On the other hand, friends who went yesterday or today had some insanely hard questions asked of them (and some really obsure questions too: healthcare in newfoundland...??!? or bush's no children left behind initiative which I've never even heard of before...). I had no ethics questions at all, none of the standard interview questions either. I guess it all depends on who interviews you as each one has their own style... I know of lots of ppl who had "hard" interviews get in and those who had easy ones not get in so I'm nervous but I'm not going to keep on analyzing the interview over and over again. the food was good though :rollin

cheers

Guest McGill Angel

I think that they come out quite soon after the interviews. Last year, according to someone who posted on this board, they came out 2 days after allthe in province interviews were done. I'm sure they will be out by mid April

Guest McGill Angel

i've been holding by breath for the past few days. by next week i dont know what ill be doing! this year they are interviewing more people though so it may be a bit longer. all the Arts students have grad ball on next saturday so it would be great to know before then so I could celebrate. how did your interview go by the way?

Hi,

I can vouch for the fact that the decisions were out last year 2 days after interviews were complete...HOWEVER, the admissions office is new this year and so they may be doing things a bit differently this year as well as them interviewing for 10 days (versus 6 last year)...i.e., don't go continually pressing refresh on MINERVA as the decision may unfortunately be a while away :-) Until then, take Medicator's advice and don't over-analyze your interviews and just be confident that you did the best job you could :-) My second interview last year went awfully (or so I thought) and I was still admitted...so you honestly never know...

good luck!

-garp

Archived