Premed 101 Forums

going for 2nd degree

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this so here is my story in a nutshell:

After highschool I didn't know what I was doing with my life I thought about doing med but didnt take it seriously....I went to a college then transferred to SFU decided to do sciences...I never took 5 courses a semester...was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder...have 2 semesters of WE...I'm 6 courses away from graduating with a ****ty 2.7 gpa (including prereq med school courses).

I'm 25 and that's old for not having an undergrad yet.

Im finally on medication that is actually working and I think I can do really well on my remaining courses but it looks like I would be doing another undergrad...thats if I am feeling 100% better. I was thinking either psych or nursing. I've always wanted to be a doctor and I feel like I couldn't give my all to my studies because of my medical issues.

I need some advice...If I do another undergrad and do really well are med schools going to look at my 1st undergrad? And how about my prereqs? they are already done...I don't really have a preference as to what school I get into..ubc is closer but that is not going to happen because they dn't forgive grades...I won't be able to go international..because of cultural barriers.....

I'n trying not to lose hope....are there any success stories of non-trads that got in Canadian med schools that were in a similar situation as I am???

Thanks in advance

Don't give up Pam...you aren't alone.

I had a long response typed up but it dissapeared into the ether...

The condensed version is that no matter how baddly you've done academically in the past there is still hope for you here in Canada. Some schools (UofT,Mac,+more) will look at both degrees while others will consider the most recent degree, or the most recent years, or the best years etc.

Instead of providing you specific information about each school and their individual policies, I recommend you go have a look at their websites. There's tons of useful information there! Think of this as your first homework assignment towards your dream. :)

Don't give up.

If you do a 2nd undergrad

no one really cares about the 1st one in canada...almost like a clean slate (but iam sure u will need to explain your situation for interviews)..

I think with a 2.XX...this is probably your best bet, if u wanna stay in canada

Some schools will look at both. But yes, quite a few will look at the most recent one or 2 years from the most recent one.

Archived