Premed 101 Forums

Distance education/course load

I have two questions for you.

1. I know medical school may not accept a student if they did 4-courses per semester as opposed to five. So do I have to take the full load?

2. For my undergrad, I started at Ottawa U but I only did some courses and then decided to stop.(I had a lot of other things going on) I am finally ready to go back but with work and stuff, I decided the best way would be to do it in a way that gave me some flexibility. So I started looking at distance education that can be done through the net. I am doing this through an accredited school. Would that be an issue? I think I heard there needs to be some lab portion and don't think this would be possible.

Regards

I have two questions for you.

1. I know medical school may not accept a student if they did 4-courses per semester as opposed to five. So do I have to take the full load?

2. For my undergrad, I started at Ottawa U but I only did some courses and then decided to stop.(I had a lot of other things going on) I am finally ready to go back but with work and stuff, I decided the best way would be to do it in a way that gave me some flexibility. So I started looking at distance education that can be done through the net. I am doing this through an accredited school. Would that be an issue? I think I heard there needs to be some lab portion and don't think this would be possible.

Regards

My entire degree is through distance education (MUN) since I transferred. The med schools certainly don't see it as a problem, and you can use it to display strengths (self-directed learning, time-management, and self-discipline!).

Thanks for that.

Any idea on the course load?

Fuller is better. Some schools won't accept a full-time job or anything else as an excuse. I gave birth during one semester and took only two courses b/c of it...some schools seem to think this is awesome and others would have preferred 4 or 5 courses on top of the baby. LOL.

For the most part, I've taken 3 or 4 courses per semester (including summer semesters) and this past year 5 per semester. The more, the better, but if you're working and you job is inflexible, just do what you can.

Archived