Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Req Questions

Guest RedPotato

Guest RedPotato

Hello everyone,

I'm a UBC student hoping to apply to McGill. But I think I may be ineligible - too many pre-req hurdles to jump through! I have a few questions - if anyone can shed some light on them, I would really appreciate it:

(1) Do the pre-requisites need to be taken in the full-credit year? The reason I'm wondering is because my physics course requirements were taken in the summer.

(2) I understand that a full course load of 15 credits must be carried during each semester. However, in my 2rd year, I carried 17 credits in 1st term, and 14 credits in 2nd term - for the academic year, that still added up to 31 credits. How strict is the 15-credit rule?

(3) On the information website, it states that the pre-requisites must be a full year (2 semester) university-level course, with laboratory work. For my general chemistry pre-requisites, I only have 1 semester of laboratory work. For my general biology pre-requisites, I have 1 semester of laboratory work and 1 semester of tutorial. Am I ineligible? |I

(4) Can more than 1 UBC course fulfill 1 McGill pre-requisite course? For example, according to the McGill course description, the topics covered in McGill BIOL 112 would equate to UBC BIOL 200, BIOL 201, and BIOL 302. Should I put all 3 courses in my application?

Thanks for any responses! ;)

Guest richmond604

1) No, they could be taken in the summer

2)that is fine, as I understand. They just wanna see if you can handle the workoad.

3)Tutorial is there only for your benefit. I believe McGill is pretty strict about the lab components. Why did you have only 1 semster of lab work? Myabe you could trycontacting the admissions office by email.

admissions at med.mcgill.ca

4) It would be better to ask the admissions office. But BIO112 was just an introduction to BIO200,BIO201, plus some genetics.

Hope this helps ;)

Archived