Premed 101 Forums

Pre-req Requirement

Guest geekpunk

Guest geekpunk

I'm and OOP applicant applying this year but my Organic Chem pre-requisite class was only one semester. This is all that was required for entrance into my home-province medical school. Not a full 6 credits that's required by McGill. However, it was a comprehensive Organic Chemistry class which covered all topics and was more than enough to tackle the Organic Chemistry presented on the MCAT. Should I email someone from Admissions about this or should I not even bother applying? I'd hate to be rejected outright because of a lack of a measly 3 more credits in Organic Chem. In addition, I have completed upper level Biochemistry and Pharmacology courses so that might make up for it? Honest advice would be much appreciated.

Guest medicator007

I think there is NO harm in writing an email to the admissions folks, they are really pleasant and quite helpful in all regards. I know they tend to be rather strict with regards to pre-requisites, especially in the context of OOP applicants, since it is such a competitive applicant pool.. but it can't hurt to ask.

Cheers,

Medicator

• 2 weeks later...
Guest geekpunk

So it's official, I won't be applying to McGill because I received an e-mail from admissions stating that the pre-req I took would not be sufficient. I would still be considered for admission if I could complete another 3 credits in Orgo by the end of this year, but unfortunately, I can't afford to do that this year with my courseload.

So, McGill is out for me! There you have it folks, one less applicant to compete against, and more importantly, one less application to be completed by me! :rollin

Archived