Premed 101 Forums

Elective in Sudden Death Investigation?

Anyone here do an elective in sudden death investigation? If so, was it a worthwhile experience?

I am hoping to have a chance to bone up on my anatomy knowledge, do some cool problem-solving, maybe practice some procedural stuff, and practice looking at x-rays and stuff.

Would such an elective fulfill some or all of these objectives?

Thanks in advance...

Though I haven't done an elective in forensic pathology (I have a 2 week elective this summer at the medical examiners office however), I have been to an autopsy.

I think you will without question learn/brush up on anatomy. As well, you will see a great deal of different pathology. Even if you don't think you would do it as a job, I think the experience would be very beneficial.

Definitely a great elective choice! Autopsy is a great opportunity for learning both anatomy and pathophysiology. With regards to practicing procedures, I highly doubt you would be allowed this due to this as the individual in question is a patient (never forget this!!) and has not donated their body for such purposes. I suppose that would be up to the discretion of the individual pathologist though. That being said you will gain a lot from taking this elective. Be sure to read up on post-mortem procedure and the basics of fp in books like Knight's and Dolinak. Good luck!

Archived