Premed 101 Forums

Yorku English

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever taken an english course at YorkU? Any recommendations (interesting and easy courses)? I am looking into taking something this summer or even next year, just need to get that prerequisite completed to apply to American schools. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey,

I just completed the full year English course at Glendon Campus 1520 for American medschools. If you're looking for a full year courseload, that's the one to choose. There's a bunch of 3 credit courses at the Keele campus.

How was the course? I was looking into that class :) I'm doing my thesis and orgo next year so I want all my other courses to be 'easy' (though I heard English classes are hard)!

Charmer08 - I believe that as long as its a 6 credit course from the english dept, it should be fine. Can anyone else verify that?

Wrighm6 - can u please let us know how EN 1520 was? Was it an easy course? Who was your prof and how was your experience with that prof? Would you recommend this prof? I don't mind commuting to Glendon as long as its an easy course. Please do let us know.

Hi,

I took 1st year Physics and English at York this year, and I found them both really easy. Not sure if it was because York is easier than McMaster or because they were really easy courses, but I never had to put in much of an effort. And this is saying something because I never wanted to take English again after grade 12 as I found it so hard.

I think as long as it's a 6-credit course it's ok, but I made sure that it contained some literature and poetry. 1520 is the only 1st year continuous 6 credit English course at York. You could take an upper year 6 credit course but I don't see why you would. I called Amcas and made sure it was OK.

1520 is 3-hours 1 day a week, and I found that very suitable to my situation, as I only had to pay parking once a week ($10.50). There's a 10 minute break in the middle and she almost always lets you out early. My prof was Dr. Davidson and she was very straightforward. She wasn't funny or anything, but not stern and was very down to earth. She actually decided it would be better if we didn't have an exam but an end of term test instead. I would recommend her, although I'm not sure how the other teachers are.

Personally, I don't think there's a better choice for an extra undergrad 6-credit English course than this one:

We had 1 in-class writing assignment (easy);

A midterm test involving writing definitions of terms and an analysis of a paragraph (pretty simple);

1 take-home essay to analyze a short essay (normal);

1 take-home essay to compare and contrast 2 dramas or poems (a bit of work);

An in-class presentation analyzing an assigned essay or poem including a written essay of what you were presenting (a bit of work);

And a final test involving definitions, analysis of a poem and an in-class essay comparing 2 dramas (a bit of studying)

I never really found myself doing that much work or studying outside of class. But remember that different profs have different outlines for the course. The only bad thing was that there wasn't a courseware containing all the necessary books. There were like more than 10 books and each was ranging from $20 to $80. I started buying them at the beginning of the term, but then I realized that you don't need to because you can just read most of them online.;)

Thanks a lot Wrighm6!!! I really appreciate the detailed breakdown of the course you have given. I will definitely give this course a try. I actually looked up the the ratings for this prof on ratemyprof and they were not too pleasant but from your post, it seems that your experience with this prof was not so bad. Thanks once again :)

WOW! thanks so much for taking the time to write this for us :) I hope Davidson is teaching this year, the only prof listed so far is Zimmerman.

Thanks again :)

Hi,

I took 1st year Physics and English at York this year, and I found them both really easy. Not sure if it was because York is easier than McMaster or because they were really easy courses, but I never had to put in much of an effort. And this is saying something because I never wanted to take English again after grade 12 as I found it so hard.

I think as long as it's a 6-credit course it's ok, but I made sure that it contained some literature and poetry. 1520 is the only 1st year continuous 6 credit English course at York. You could take an upper year 6 credit course but I don't see why you would. I called Amcas and made sure it was OK.

1520 is 3-hours 1 day a week, and I found that very suitable to my situation, as I only had to pay parking once a week ($10.50). There's a 10 minute break in the middle and she almost always lets you out early. My prof was Dr. Davidson and she was very straightforward. She wasn't funny or anything, but not stern and was very down to earth. She actually decided it would be better if we didn't have an exam but an end of term test instead. I would recommend her, although I'm not sure how the other teachers are.

Personally, I don't think there's a better choice for an extra undergrad 6-credit English course than this one:

We had 1 in-class writing assignment (easy);

A midterm test involving writing definitions of terms and an analysis of a paragraph (pretty simple);

1 take-home essay to analyze a short essay (normal);

1 take-home essay to compare and contrast 2 dramas or poems (a bit of work);

An in-class presentation analyzing an assigned essay or poem including a written essay of what you were presenting (a bit of work);

And a final test involving definitions, analysis of a poem and an in-class essay comparing 2 dramas (a bit of studying)

I never really found myself doing that much work or studying outside of class. But remember that different profs have different outlines for the course. The only bad thing was that there wasn't a courseware containing all the necessary books. There were like more than 10 books and each was ranging from $20 to $80. I started buying them at the beginning of the term, but then I realized that you don't need to because you can just read most of them online.;)

• 1 month later...
Has anyone enrolled in an English course? I wasn't allowed to because it says the courses are reserved. I called the dept and that said that upper level students can't take first or second year English courses (so lame)!

Anyone else having the same problem?

LOL the schedule that one makes before the enrollment window never works out...

I'm actually gonna take it in the summer at another university... York makes it impossible for a york student to get into an english course. Since, during the summer, the english courses are reserved for english majors. Don't they know we have general education requirements which includes first and second year english courses? :(

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone enrolled in an English course? I wasn't allowed to because it says the courses are reserved. I called the dept and that said that upper level students can't take first or second year English courses (so lame)!

Anyone else having the same problem?

are you guys serious! crap...i just sent in my york application today - they said its going to take a month to be approved (im applying as a visiting student).

Does that mean i wont even be allowed into a york english class??

Hmm...so i guess i should register at ryerson for an english class??

I need a full yr physics, english credit along with a half yr inorganic chem and half yr organic chem credit. But, this yr ryerson isnt offering an introductory physics course (for the fall term) - so i have to register with york to get my physics credit.

thats going to be wierd, having to go to 2 different universities lol

are you guys serious! crap...i just sent in my york application today - they said its going to take a month to be approved (im applying as a visiting student).

Does that mean i wont even be allowed into a york english class??

Hmm...so i guess i should register at ryerson for an english class??

I need a full yr physics, english credit along with a half yr inorganic chem and half yr organic chem credit. But, this yr ryerson isnt offering an introductory physics course (for the fall term) - so i have to register with york to get my physics credit.

thats going to be wierd, having to go to 2 different universities lol

If I were you, I'd take ALL these prereqs at Ryerson. For one thing, it'll be much easier there, and I'd look into the "CONTINUING EDUCATION" courses that they offer in their Chang school of continuing studies. My experiences there was wonderful. Also, Ryerson is a UNIVERSITY, contrary to what your bias may dictate. So as an University, your credits will be university level credits, and should fit the prereq requirements for your applications.

Applying there for courses is also as easy as ABC. You just go there (if it's your first time), register, pay your fees, and voila. No lengthy applications or anything like that, you are done in 30 min (less if no lineup). :)

Also, they offer mostly night courses, from 6:30 to 9:30pm. So the schedule is pretty good, you can fit in the Ryerson courses after your UofT courses with time to spare. No need for the long commute to York.

It's not weird at all to go to 2 different Universities to get your prereqs done. Lots of people do it. In fact, if you do end up going to Ryerson for these prereqs (at least in the continuing education courses), you'll find that a significant portion of the class is from uofT doing their prereqs there for US professional school applications :)

If I were you, I'd take ALL these prereqs at Ryerson. For one thing, it'll be much easier there, and I'd look into the "CONTINUING EDUCATION" courses that they offer in their Chang school of continuing studies. My experiences there was wonderful. Also, Ryerson is a UNIVERSITY, contrary to what your bias may dictate. So as an University, your credits will be university level credits, and should fit the prereq requirements for your applications.

Applying there for courses is also as easy as ABC. You just go there (if it's your first time), register, pay your fees, and voila. No lengthy applications or anything like that, you are done in 30 min (less if no lineup). :)

Also, they offer mostly night courses, from 6:30 to 9:30pm. So the schedule is pretty good, you can fit in the Ryerson courses after your UofT courses with time to spare. No need for the long commute to York.

It's not weird at all to go to 2 different Universities to get your prereqs done. Lots of people do it. In fact, if you do end up going to Ryerson for these prereqs (at least in the continuing education courses), you'll find that a significant portion of the class is from uofT doing their prereqs there for US professional school applications :)

Hi Mashemotto,

Haha no i have no bias, sorry i think what i wrote came across in a wrong way. I definitely would prefer to do everything at Ryerson, but Ryerson is not offering any introductory physics courses in 2010-2011 (isn't that crazy?).

So that is why I will have to take Physics at york, and so I was thinking of just doing all my prereqs at york instead of ryerson. But, I dont think thats going to happen b/c york has much more limited seats in classes and most are reserved for their students.

So im taking english and my chem courses at ryerson but my physics course at york (hopefully, apparently their classes get full really fast though :( and i just sent my application today) if not physics at york then at utm :S

Thanks for the advice though! Im def gonna take the other courses at ryerson since it is so much easier to register there with the continuing education system.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived