Premed 101 Forums

Master of Physiology at UofT or Sabba

Hi everyone,

I am so confused and I really need some help. I got accepted into masters of physiology at UofT and also applied to sabba and got into sabba carribean medschool. My cGPA is 3.2 and my GPA in my last four years is 3.7. I have studied undergrad for six years (two yrs in computer engineering and four years in biology). I have lots of volunteer work in hospital, president of club, volunteer research, one year employed in a hospital as a patient services assistant and health informatic clerk. I wrote MCAT and got 28M and planning to rewrite in June.

What do you think I should do?

Some ppl say masters is a waste of time others say it is not.

I really appreciate your help.

Hi everyone,

I think it depends on what you want and how you prioritize your goals.

There are tons of threads on Caribbean schools on this forum and SDN. Search them, get an idea of the benefits and downfalls. Does the curriculum and class environment at sabba suit you well? Are you OK with being an IMG and having a harder time getting a residency? What are your thoughts on practicing in the States because that might be a more practical destination from the Caribbean. Alternately, are you set on practicing in Canada?

Basically - what sort of direction/achievements are you hoping to obtain. This greatly affects the answer to "what do you think I should do?"

Hi everyone,

I am so confused and I really need some help. I got accepted into masters of physiology at UofT and also applied to sabba and got into sabba carribean medschool. My cGPA is 3.2 and my GPA in my last four years is 3.7. I have studied undergrad for six years (two yrs in computer engineering and four years in biology). I have lots of volunteer work in hospital, president of club, volunteer research, one year employed in a hospital as a patient services assistant and health informatic clerk. I wrote MCAT and got 28M and planning to rewrite in June.

Some ppl say masters is a waste of time others say it is not.

I really appreciate your help.

Well, if your stats (mcat, gpa) do not improve, and you are doing the masters to buy yourself some time before trying for med school applications again, I'd say yes, the masters is a waste of time.The advantages you get from getting this masters are not equal to the return on investment you put forth. Med schools in Canada don't really take into account your masters grades, so you'll end up with x number of years spent/wasted on a masters, with no visible improvement of getting into a Canadian med school. If medicine is truly what you want to do, then go do MEDICINE. However, before jumping into the caribbean medical school boat, DO RESEARCH, AND REALIZE THE RISKS OF ATTENDING A CARIBBEAN MED SCHOOL. Do you want to return to Canada? Work in the US? Are you going to be happy with family medicine? (something like 3/4 of Saba students end up in family medicine, their website even states that Saba strongly recommends their students to choose family medicine as their residency).

Will you be happy doing something else besides medicine? What types of jobs can you get if you were to go into the workforce with a masters of physiology? Have you thought of attending a US medical school? With your stats, you can get into an Osteopathic medical school in the US, but the drawback is you'll need another year to apply to said school. You have options, but you first need to know what you want out of your life.

Archived