Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

Here's a quick questionnaire regarding the admissions process at McGill. We ran this questionnaire last year, and I'd like to keep it going on an annual basis so we can generate some profiles of applicants who have been accepted, rejected, or placed on a waitlist for each school. If you are applying this year, please take a few minutes to fill out the below questions. :)

Please keep all replies focussed as answers to the below; I will delete any non-answers in this thread. If you have any questions, please start a new thread so that this one stays on topic. Please check out the big thread in the General Premed Forum as well to let us know which schools accepted you, and which ones waitlisted you or rejected you: pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm0.showMessage?topicID=648.topic

If you can copy and paste the below form, and fill it out, that'd be awesome. If you want to contribute your GPA and MCAT stats in addition, that's great too. :)

------

I'm a (Province) resident in (undergraduate or graduate) studies. My GPA was (XYZ) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

I was (accepted/rejected/waitlisted) by McGill. This is my (first/second/third/more than third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (XYZ Med School) as my first choice.

------

Ian

Guest mtlmdwannabe

I am a Quebec resident and I did my undergrad at McGill in Physiology.

I was waitlisted last year and am waitlisted again this year as well.

Rejected from UdeSherbrooke and ULaval, waiting for news from UdeMontreal.

My first choice of schools would be whichever one accepts me, but all things considered I think that I would rather go to McGill then anywhere else.

Good luck to all.

Ian, if you read this do you think that there would be any demand for a section for the french shools in Quebec?

Guest McGillMed06

I am a Quebec resident, did my undegrad @ McGill (Major: Physiology)

I was accpeted this year (first year applied)

Stats: cGPA: 3.8, MCAT: 32

I was rejected from most other schools, although I never attended my UdeM interview. I am still waiting to hear from Western (had interview there)

My heart is at McGill, and I am super excited that I will be attending McGill med. Good luck to all those on the waitlist. All those that got in, I cant wait to meet you August 14th!

Guest medicator007

I am a Quebec resident, did my undergrad at McGill (Major in biology).

I was accepted this year, my first application attempt.

cGPA:3.7 MCAT:36

I was rejected w/o interview from all other schools, but my first choice was McGill so I guess in the end it doesnt really matter.

Best of luck to those on the waitlist, my utmost respect to those of you able to endure this wait... hope to see you all on the 14th

Guest kazoo

I am a Quebec resident, did my undergrad at Toronto (Engineering).

I was accepted this year, my first application attempt.

cGPA:3.7 MCAT:31

McGill was the only school I applied to.

Guest candybits

I'm a Quebec resident, did my undergrad at McGill as well (physical therapy).

I was accepted by McGill & UBC. This is my (first) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (McGill) as my first choice.

Guest melissa

I'm a Quebec resident finishing a Biochem degree at Queen's.

I was accepted by McGill. This is my first time applying to this school.

I also got accepted at U of T and UWO. I was rejected with an interview at Queen's and without an interview at McMaster. Queen's would have been my number one choice, but I will accept U of T.

I think McGill used to be the best Canadian school, but the treatment and funding of English institutions by the local government truly scares me. If it was not for them, McGill would have been U of T/ Harvard of Canada. I remember when my parents immigrated to Montreal, I had to move to Ontario so that I could go to an English-based school (immigrants' children have to go to French schools?!). U of T seems to have it all: history, academics, as well as future - worth every penny.

Guest Tempus Textor

My application was granted Quebec provincial status despite my Nova Scotia residence. Vital signs: BScH biology, CGPA 3.95, MCAT 31Q, Sun sign aries.

1st time applying to any school; accepted at McGill, Queen's, UBC & Manitoba; rejected by Mac post interview, invited to interview at UofT but they were so late I declined (McGill & Manitoba had already issued acceptances), rejected w/o interview at Ottawa and Dalhousie. It's an interesting world.

Of all the schools (eight) I applied to, I'd like to (and by amazing good fortune, will) attend McGill. An excruciatingly close 2nd & 3rd were Queen's & UBC, but I'm truly happy to be going anywhere.

Congratulations to all incoming students and encouragement and perseverance to those who still aspire.

Tempus Textor.

Guest dfenst

I am Quebec resident who finished an undergraduate degree in Commerce/Info Tech at McGill in '99 and then worked in consulting for 2 years.

I am waitlisted at McGill. This is my first time applying. McGill is my first choice.

• 1 month later...
Guest rosie7172

I am a Quebec resident with a B.Sc. in psych (McGill) and an M.F.S. (Master's in Forensic Sciences) from the US.

This was my first time applying for Med. I got interviews as Queen's (waitlisted), U of Montreal (declined... already had my McGill red folder), and accepted at McGill (my first choice- woo hoo).

Looking forward to meeting you all, and good luck to all the waitlisters!

I am a NF resident, did my undergrad at Memorial.

Applied to Queens, Western, Memorial, Toronto and Mcgill.

Got in first try at MUN, accepted off waitlist at Queens, Western and Mcgill. Declined interview at Toronto.

I've decided to attend Mcgill, for the MD/PhD program which I'm admitted to, and for the city of Montreal.

See everyone next month!

• 9 months later...
Guest Biochem10

I was accepted at McGill for the upcoming school year (Fall 2003) for the MD program.

I have decided to attend U of T for the MD/PhD program instead.

Rejected from McMaster without an interview

CGPA: 3.72

MCAT: 30P

Quebec Resident

Guest dfenst

I'm a Quebec resident doing a Masters now in Biomedical Sciences. My undergraduate degree was Commerce/Info Tech at McGill.

Undergraduate GPA - 3.7

Graduate GPA (currently) - 3.9

MCAT - 29R

I was accepted by McGill for this coming Fall (2003) and will be most definitely attending! This is my second time applying to this school (waitlisted last year). It is the only english speaking school I applied to this year.

Good luck everyone.

• 1 month later...
Guest cutieyellow

Forever Waitlisted is what i am as well :)

Waitlisted at U Laval, U Sherbrooke and U Montreal. What a cozy life i lead---show me the candy, but definitely don't ever give it to me :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bearman14

Geez - forgot to fill this out...

I'm a B.C./Alberta resident (depending on which school I'm applying to ;) ) and former grad student in Kinesiology/Medical Sciences. Undergrad was in KNES.

Undergrad GPA was 3.71

Graduate GPA was 3.93

MCAT 37R

I was accepted at McGill, UBC, Queen's, and Calgary, and rejected from all the rest :P I will be attending McGill this Fall, though I guess my first choice was Dalhousie. Still, I'm pumped about the chance to attend such a great school. It was my first time applying to McGill, but third year applying to other med schools.

Guest Blackbird15

I should fill this out too, since I'm for sure coming to McGill! I'm a Quebec resident with a BSc (Hons) in Biology from McMaster. My stats are:

OMSAS GPA: 3.77

MCAT: 35P

I was accepted to McGill and Queens. Accepted off the waitlist at McMaster and Dalhousie. Still waitlisted at U of T. Rejected without interview at Calgary. It was a really tough decision for me between all these amazing schools, but I ended up choosing McGill for personal reasons. This is my first time applying to med school (but I'm already a year out of undergrad).

Guest jbish

I'm a USA citizen (Massachusetts) but I figured I'd toss in my info, too. Graduate Wellesley College, B.A. May 2003, Biochem major. This is my first time applying; McGill accepted me. It was the only Canadian school I applied to--although I applied to 14 U.S. schools and was accepted into 5 of them with 3 add'l waitlisted and the remaining 5 rejects w/o interview. Of the 6 schools I was accepted into, McGill was my first choice. I had 11PS-11BS-11V-Q Writing for my MCATs. I'm not sure about my total GPA since I took classes at 3 colleges, but it's 3.6something.

--Jennifer

Guest brocolina

I don't know if in your survey you take into consideration students accepted into the med-p program, directly from cegep, but I will give you my info anyway.

I am a Quebec resident and was accepted in the 2003-2004 med-P class at McGill. I was also offered a place in the med-P class at the universities of Laval, Montreal and Sherbrooke, but obviously I chose McGill. I graduated from Marianopolis College with a CRC of 36,79.

Guest AiricT

Hi

I am also a Quebec resident, and will be attending the 2003-2003 med-P class at McGill. I was also offered a place at the university of Sherbrooke. I am a Marianopolis College graduate with a CRC of 35,665

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dandalex

I'm a Québec resident with a B.Sc Biomedical Sciences (Université de Montréal) studies.

My GPA was 3.98/4.0 (after conversion from the 4.3 scale)

MCAT scores were:

32N

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: N

Take a walk on the wild side and study two weeks for the MCAT, makes things...interesting!

I was accepted by Université de Montréal, Université Laval and McGill MD-MBA.

Honestly, if I hadn't gotten into the McGill MD-MBA and solely gotten into the MD program, I would have gone to Université de Montréal, for its Problem-Based Learning, female-rich environment and, of course, family tradition.

AlexH.

Guest cutieyellow

3.98/4 !!! that's an amazing GPA.

I was wondering if you liked your biomed... a good friend of mine is gonna enter that in september after finishing up a bac. in engineering (he actually wants to be a dentist but needs to boost his grades)...

Anyhow, i was just asking how you found the program...and congrats on getting into U de M ( i am waitlisted still but i'll just go to U Laval in Qc instead ). At least they want me in Quebec :)

Marie

Guest dandalex

Hi Marie,

thanks for the compliment on my GPA...but if you had any idea how lazy I am...

Frankly, I found my time at biomed at UdeM to be quite awesome and I am weighing my words.

But it's really medical physiology (if there ever was such a field) so if you go there with the idea of medicine in your head, classes are much more interesting and easier to study.

That being said, it's quite competitive,the first time I got there I was impressed with the load of medical rejects with CRCs of 35 to 37...but now, the program seems to fill itself more and more with people who don't want to use it as a jumping board to another program. So even though the entry CRC has gone up, on average (from what I have seen of the students in the years below), I thing most people are now a bit less competitive during the course of the program...they want to do research...go figure (just kidding).

Now that being said, I my class a couple of people that I know (5 or 6 I think) got into a DMD program.

If your friend works his ass off, it's pretty likely he could get into DMD, if his eng. grades aren't too bad. For exemple, at a 3.3/4.3 average (which was about the class average) the CRU (university cote de rendement) was 31 and a the top of the class...me!...36.5-37.

Your friend should go the registrar's office and ask for his CRU (usually they don't give it directly and you have to write a letter asking for it, but I have seen it happen) Once this is done, you can calculate the CRU you need to get during biomed to have the entry CRC for DMD, which is about 31.5 if I remember correctly.

Sadly, if his CRU from eng. are too low, it might be impossible, reallistically speaking, to get high enough marks on enough credits to make up for deficient grades early on, taking into account that UdeM calculates any and all university credit done during your lifetime to come up with your CRU.

Sorry if this was a bit long, but it's raining outside...so I am stuck here waisting time...If you or your friend have anymore questions, I can be reached at

dandalex@caramail.com,

I will be happy to respond.

sorry about your waitlisting in Montreal, funny thing, I was waitlisted at laval before getting in...I had a top ranking there...until the APS,where I scored like half the average in most categories (my friends and I didn't understand) seems they don't want decisive, take-charge, dynamic people there (no offense)...they want multi-disciplinary team players...

But I had a blast during the APS nonetheless...maybe it's because I knew I had gotten in at McGill when I went there...maybe I seemed a bit...au-dessus de mes affaires!!!

Anyways,

Alex-H.

• 2 months later...
Guest LoveMcGill

I'm an out of province resident (Undergrad in Biochemistry). My GPA was 3.90 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 13

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: N

I was accepted by McGill and Ottawa. This was my second time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McGill as my first choice.

Archived