Premed 101 Forums

English Stream French Speaking Ability

I have a recent interest in applying to UofO for meds. I speak very little french but I am interested in learning. Even though there is an Anglophone stream, is there a huge weighted preference on bilingual applicants anyways?

I think it's an asset, amongst many other things, but definitely not everyone in the English stream can speak French, so for sure not a must... I don't know any more than that...

For french-speaking candidates, billingual are preferre than unilingual if there application are equal.

It may be the same for the english-speaking candidates

hm... yes, it would be hard to be able to speak French only (¬ any English) in the program, given how you have to do English rotations (ie pediatrics at CHEO). I think if applying to the French stream, a basic ability to speak some English is... pretty much a must. For the English program it's very different, as they don't do any rotations in French.

hm... yes, it would be hard to be able to speak French only (¬ any English) in the program, given how you have to do English rotations (ie pediatrics at CHEO). I think if applying to the French stream, a basic ability to speak some English is... pretty much a must. For the English program it's very different, as they don't do any rotations in French.

Well I still think you may good in english (but no billingual) and be accepted.

You'll finish billingual at the end of the formation..

I checked myself off as bilingual on the application forms. At my interview, they 'tested' my French ability by asking me a question in French, but I was allowed to answer it in English. Despite having answered the initial prompt in French, the interviewer stressed it out twice that I was allowed to answer in English. I'm not sure if this was the same for everyone though. My French knowledge is 12 years of immersion, however it is a bit rusty having been out of it for a few years now, but definitely something that I could pick up easily again if I am submersed in French environment.

I have a recent interest in applying to UofO for meds. I speak very little french but I am interested in learning. Even though there is an Anglophone stream, is there a huge weighted preference on bilingual applicants anyways?

I'm in the Anglophone program and don't speak a word of French.

I've seen ZERO preference for bilingual applicants in the Anglo program, off hand, I'd say a third of my class is bilingual, but that's because there's a fair number from the Ottawa area and the military program.

Hope that answers your question!

Cheers,

Dr.Acula

uOttawa Meds 2013

• 1 year later...

Archived