Premed 101 Forums

Should I take an orgo course?

MedDream

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if there is already a thread like this out there... but I'm wondering if it is possible to do well in the orgo parts of the MCAT without taking a full university course in it. I've done first year general chem and the organic stuff always kills me. I think because I don't like it and never took the time to memorize the stuff I did really badly.

Basically... here's my concern: I know that orgo tends to bring down a person's GPA, and I'm already worried about being competitive. I was thinking of doing some self-study in organic and getting a tutor to learn the material, instead of taking a full course where my mark will count and possibly ruin my chances if I end up doing poorly.

Any thoughts? Is it possible to learn the material through self-study and MCAT prep courses? Does anyone have a personal experience with this? Thanks in advance :)

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if there is already a thread like this out there... but I'm wondering if it is possible to do well in the orgo parts of the MCAT without taking a full university course in it. I've done first year general chem and the organic stuff always kills me. I think because I don't like it and never took the time to memorize the stuff I did really badly.

Basically... here's my concern: I know that orgo tends to bring down a person's GPA, and I'm already worried about being competitive. I was thinking of doing some self-study in organic and getting a tutor to learn the material, instead of taking a full course where my mark will count and possibly ruin my chances if I end up doing poorly.

Any thoughts? Is it possible to learn the material through self-study and MCAT prep courses? Does anyone have a personal experience with this? Thanks in advance :)

A bunch of med schools have organic chemistry I and II as a prerequisite to apply (you can look up the requirements of the med schools...just use google). While it is possible to do ok without taking ochem, I would recommend that you take it before taking the MCAT...why? Because your BS section score will be severely lowered if you end up sucking on the ochem part. While organic chemistry is scary, it is almost like a rite of passage for any aspiring med student...so study hard, get a tutor etc., practice, and you should be fine.

I think it would be much easier to take the organic course especially since it is a prerequisite. Orgo is not too bad but i believe the secret to it is to keep up with the material since day 1. Don't slack and you should be fine. Its really not that bad and if your still worried you could take it in the summer.

I never took it and I got 11 on the BS section. I studied for about 8 months, I think. But I wasn't planning on applying to med school when I was in undergrad, and it seriously limits the number of schools you can apply to. If I don't get in the first time I apply, I'm going to spend a year taking all the classes like that I didn't take so I can apply to more places. So I don't recommend just not ever taking it, but you can learn enough on your own to still do okay on the MCAT. But if your circumstances allow you to actually take the class before you do the MCAT, that would probably be a lot easier.

Archived