Premed 101 Forums

Research Advice

sabdul

Hi.

I'm currently working with an MD, trying to get case reports and other manuscripts published, so I'll probably end up being acknowledged in the publications. At the same time, I've also secured a volunteer position at a biomechanics lab at my school for the summer. The volunteer position has yet to begin. I'm starting to feel that I won't be able to handle the volunteer position at the lab plus the one with the MD plus studying for the MCAT at the same time. So, my question is, would the publication business I'm involved in with the MD count as research experience? Mind you, I'm not working in a lab with the MD, more like his private neurology clinic, so does that still count as research experience? Would you advise that I give up the volunteer position in the biomechanics lab? Thanks so much!

Hi.

I'm currently working with an MD, trying to get case reports and other manuscripts published, so I'll probably end up being acknowledged in the publications. At the same time, I've also secured a volunteer position at a biomechanics lab at my school for the summer. The volunteer position has yet to begin. I'm starting to feel that I won't be able to handle the volunteer position at the lab plus the one with the MD plus studying for the MCAT at the same time. So, my question is, would the publication business I'm involved in with the MD count as research experience? Mind you, I'm not working in a lab with the MD, more like his private neurology clinic, so does that still count as research experience? Would you advise that I give up the volunteer position in the biomechanics lab? Thanks so much!

Depending on what kind of work you're doing in the MD's office. The biomech lab will give you tons of opportunities and depending on whom you help, you will be included in publications. The lab publishes tons of research yearly (I've been in it for 2 years now); goes to tons of conferences; and if you do a very good job, the professor will also tag you onto your own project (you can even ask him about this). I started off as a volunteer in his lab, helping grad students and 2 months later got my own project. That project has taken me far as I have more than 2 publications at hand and I have presented at different conferences.

So your pick.

Edit: Also to note: the project will get you a first author publication (if you do your best). He's very fair when it comes to that and usually puts his name last on all of the student publications.

Archived