Premed 101 Forums

Living alone vs Roommates

Much as I love being around people much of the time, having one's own space is very nice. I'm going to live by myself if at all possible, mainly because sometimes you just need some quiet time to unwind and there's no guarantee of that when living with others. (Plus, it makes me slightly crazy when people leave the kitchen dirty :P)

I've always had roommates up until now, and I've moved abroad and lived with randos, with friends, and through assigned living in graduate housing.

I'm definitely living alone this year coming.

Living with people can be stressful, especially with women, because we tend not to be direct and let things 'simmer.' I'm living with a friend right now, and it turns out she's bulimic - which I didn't know until a few months into living her. It's pretty high stress and pales in comparison to other more conflict-based issues I've had over cleanliness, noise, sleep habits, etc, but I feel like Hamilton is cheap enough that I'm willing to risk loneliness over the potential hassles of roommates.

My feeling is also that we'll be so busy, coming home to an empty place might be a nice thing at the end of the night. Also, roommate based conflict, even though I doubt I'll have the stressful situation I have this year, can really affect studying and how comfortable you feel in your own home.

It's definitely personal preference, but for me, this year was pretty much the last straw. I've had AWESOME roommates, but you never really know what someone is like to live with until you do it. Housing prices in Hamilton make it pretty unnecessary to need to take the gamble.

I very much agree with the above post. In the preclerkship period your time spent with others in tutorials and beyond is extremely heavy and it's really nice to come home to some quiet space at the end of the day.

Sure, there are the odd lonely times but friends in the class are always just a short bus ride or drive away. Avoid potential roommate drama unless you're really sure of who you're living with...you've got a lot to juggle as it is!

Archived