Premed 101 Forums

Stuck- Advice on What to do

Hey everyone,

There appears to be similar posts on the topic about taking a second degree, but I thought I would create a new post so that it would be more personalized to my situation.

Quick blurb about me. I finished my B.Sc. in May 09 (major Bio, minors Chem and Criminology). I promised my auntie to take a year off of school, so I landed a good full time job and will be working here for a year in June.

I received an interview this year from U of A med and it's my first year applying. I got rejected post interview. My stats aren't phenomenal, but they were good enough to get me the interview. I am actively working on improving my competitiveness. I decided to stop working full time and go down to working once a week. I am taking a MCAT prep course and retaking the MCAT in August. Throughout the summer I plan on volunteering some more and improving my personal activities. The next improvement would be my GPA. For the U of A, they do a cumulative GPA, therefore, I could go for another degree and increase my GPA.

What are your opinions on doing another degree? I am all about back up plans (since there are some really deserving people out there who still do not win the med lottery). So if I go for another degree I would just end up with another degree, possibly a higher GPA but also no solid job opportunities. I am thinking about doing a nursing degree, that way I could work towards becoming a nurse practitioner (as a backup) however, I would only be able to do the winter session (starting in January) so it wouldn't do anything for my GPA this round.

What are your thoughts.. And thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,

There appears to be similar posts on the topic about taking a second degree, but I thought I would create a new post so that it would be more personalized to my situation.

Quick blurb about me. I finished my B.Sc. in May 09 (major Bio, minors Chem and Criminology). I promised my auntie to take a year off of school, so I landed a good full time job and will be working here for a year in June.

I received an interview this year from U of A med and it's my first year applying. I got rejected post interview. My stats aren't phenomenal, but they were good enough to get me the interview. I am actively working on improving my competitiveness. I decided to stop working full time and go down to working once a week. I am taking a MCAT prep course and retaking the MCAT in August. Throughout the summer I plan on volunteering some more and improving my personal activities. The next improvement would be my GPA. For the U of A, they do a cumulative GPA, therefore, I could go for another degree and increase my GPA.

What are your opinions on doing another degree? I am all about back up plans (since there are some really deserving people out there who still do not win the med lottery). So if I go for another degree I would just end up with another degree, possibly a higher GPA but also no solid job opportunities. I am thinking about doing a nursing degree, that way I could work towards becoming a nurse practitioner (as a backup) however, I would only be able to do the winter session (starting in January) so it wouldn't do anything for my GPA this round.

What are your thoughts.. And thanks in advance!

What was your GPA in the first degree? If it's high enough you may not need a second degree to get a competitive GPA(just some extra courses).

What was your GPA in the first degree? If it's high enough you may not need a second degree to get a competitive GPA(just some extra courses).

:o 3.45

I know that it's not very competitive. Since I've already graduated, doesn't my GPA stay as is, even with taking some extra courses?

Archived