Premed 101 Forums

MCAT studying advice!

medhopeful64

Hello!

Can anyone offer me some advice on this...I'm self studying for MCAT (writing August 4), and started off with the plan to study subject by subject. This is taking a long time (I can't keep up with their schedule - chapter readings + practice probs, of which there are 15-20 passages plus stand alones...I can't complete it all in a day :eek: ). Perhaps I should do all 6 subjects at the same time, and rotate day by day? I wanted to do all of one subject first because I can stay in ie "chem" mode for a few weeks, then switch once I'm done, but now I think it might be better to do all at the same time just because it will be fresher in your mind once you're done (or not?)....

Also - for those of you studying with PR (I have their hyperlearning texts, the ones that come with the course), how much time do you give yourself to do the practice probs? I let myself take as much time as needed b/c it is my initial studying (so I feel like I should get the concepts well grounded), but would timing yourself/giving yourself a limit be a better idea? I'm hoping the practice tests will train me for managing the time...is this a good plan? :confused:

Thanks!!

Hello!

Can anyone offer me some advice on this...I'm self studying for MCAT (writing August 4), and started off with the plan to study subject by subject. This is taking a long time (I can't keep up with their schedule - chapter readings + practice probs, of which there are 15-20 passages plus stand alones...I can't complete it all in a day :eek: ). Perhaps I should do all 6 subjects at the same time, and rotate day by day? I wanted to do all of one subject first because I can stay in ie "chem" mode for a few weeks, then switch once I'm done, but now I think it might be better to do all at the same time just because it will be fresher in your mind once you're done (or not?)....

Also - for those of you studying with PR (I have their hyperlearning texts, the ones that come with the course), how much time do you give yourself to do the practice probs? I let myself take as much time as needed b/c it is my initial studying (so I feel like I should get the concepts well grounded), but would timing yourself/giving yourself a limit be a better idea? I'm hoping the practice tests will train me for managing the time...is this a good plan? :confused:

Thanks!!

First of all do the free practice MCAT to see which area is your weakest...then I would focus on that one the most. I think switching back and forth between subjects is the best way to go because it keeps your focus fresh and somewhat simulates the shift in thinking you will need during the MCAT (except then you only have 10 minutes in between sections if you choose to take the breaks).

There is no way you will remember all of the information that is in the prep books...the most important skill to work on is how to effectively answer questions which takes practice (and of course a basic knowledge). Timing yourself in a test-like environment (relatively quiet, no breaks, no interruptions) with a previous MCAT test will be the best prep as far as the day of the test goes. The MCAT is not only testing your general knowledge on these topics but also your time management, discrimination/comprehension abilities with the passages, and ability to apply basic concepts to seemingly more complicated ideas.

As far as practice tests etc. if you are uncomfortable at first just do one or two without a time limit and see how long it takes you and how well you do...you may discover your time is not even something you need to work on.

Also take most of the prep books' tests with a grain of salt...most people agree that they are either more difficult or less difficult than the MCAT, but if anything they can help focus your learning and indicate where you still need to review. The real AAMC exams are the best practice. Most people use these to gauge how well they are progressing... so they will do one before starting to study and they may get 5PS/8BS/8VR....so from this they clearly have a big issue with physical sciences so that should be main focus...after a few weeks of studying/practicing all 3 sections they do another test...they may get 8PS/10BS/11VR...ok so things are clearly getting better and the focus should still be PS...but maybe just to be sure take another one a day or 2 after just to make certain that these scores are relatively reliable... you may get 9PS/11BS/10VR...so then this is basically telling you with a bit more studying getting a competitive MCAT score is in your reach. Do several practice MCATs all at once (i.e. all sections in one sitting)/timed/test environment closer to your writing date, and the day before the exam have a relaxed day. Maybe read up on current events, things you may be lucky to be able to use for the writing prompts but no intense studying.

Obviously maintain a balance and do other things - go out with friends, exercise, do research, work - just studying all summer is not only boring but having little breaks is probably beneficial to maintaining focus and retaining material...and you won't burn out. Hopefully some of my advice helps you!

First of all do the free practice MCAT to see which area is your weakest...then I would focus on that one the most. I think switching back and forth between subjects is the best way to go because it keeps your focus fresh and somewhat simulates the shift in thinking you will need during the MCAT (except then you only have 10 minutes in between sections if you choose to take the breaks).

There is no way you will remember all of the information that is in the prep books...the most important skill to work on is how to effectively answer questions which takes practice (and of course a basic knowledge). Timing yourself in a test-like environment (relatively quiet, no breaks, no interruptions) with a previous MCAT test will be the best prep as far as the day of the test goes. The MCAT is not only testing your general knowledge on these topics but also your time management, discrimination/comprehension abilities with the passages, and ability to apply basic concepts to seemingly more complicated ideas.

As far as practice tests etc. if you are uncomfortable at first just do one or two without a time limit and see how long it takes you and how well you do...you may discover your time is not even something you need to work on.

Also take most of the prep books' tests with a grain of salt...most people agree that they are either more difficult or less difficult than the MCAT, but if anything they can help focus your learning and indicate where you still need to review. The real AAMC exams are the best practice. Most people use these to gauge how well they are progressing... so they will do one before starting to study and they may get 5PS/8BS/8VR....so from this they clearly have a big issue with physical sciences so that should be main focus...after a few weeks of studying/practicing all 3 sections they do another test...they may get 8PS/10BS/11VR...ok so things are clearly getting better and the focus should still be PS...but maybe just to be sure take another one a day or 2 after just to make certain that these scores are relatively reliable... you may get 9PS/11BS/10VR...so then this is basically telling you with a bit more studying getting a competitive MCAT score is in your reach. Do several practice MCATs all at once (i.e. all sections in one sitting)/timed/test environment closer to your writing date, and the day before the exam have a relaxed day. Maybe read up on current events, things you may be lucky to be able to use for the writing prompts but no intense studying.

Obviously maintain a balance and do other things - go out with friends, exercise, do research, work - just studying all summer is not only boring but having little breaks is probably beneficial to maintaining focus and retaining material...and you won't burn out. Hopefully some of my advice helps you!

Thanks a lot for the advice, much appreciated! :) I did do a free Kaplan test before I began studying, and my PS and BS scores were about the same, but verbal was dismal. So clearly I should start working on that...

Hmm, any suggestions on answering questions effectively? I've been answering them pretty much based solely on basic knowledge (and inferring from the passages of course) because that's how my PR texts explain the answers...like should I stop looking up concepts, and do my best to just answer them?

And yes, I will for sure do the practice AAMC practice tests once I am finished my initial studying, and those will be timed! I did run out of time on the verbal section of the kaplan free test I had done (hence the dismal verbal mark), but a lot of them I just plain guessed since I simply could not remember the concepts (especially the PS section).

Well anyways, thanks a lot for your reply!

I'd like to start studying for the MCAT but it all just seems a little overwhelming. I haven't taken chemistry or physics since high school (about 8 years ago, and have never touched orgo), and took first year bio two years ago and got a mediocre mark (for lack of focus mainly).

I'd like to write the MCAT next summer at some point (I'll be applying during my forth year - and for those wondering, I'm a non-trad who took a year off after high school, did college for 2 years, got into university, finished 1st year and got sick and took a year off, did a few courses and now summer courses, and now about to start my 3rd year...ugh!). I basically have no clue where to start, or even how to study for it.

When I study for my other courses I seem to spend a lot of time writing out pages and pages of notes, and while I find writing things out helps me study, I do feel that I may take more time than I should doing this..but I have trouble deciding what should be written down and what shouldn't be. After I'm finished writing everything is when I really start studying and memorizing things and practicing my output.

Right now I feel that if I were to take this same approach studying for the MCAT, I would be wasting my time. I wouldn't be starting to study until August or September, b/c right now I'm doing 4 summer courses to catch up from the year that I was sick, so I basically spend my days writing and studying. And even if I didn’t have these courses right now, I still don't feel that taking the time to write out EVERYTHING that relates to chem, orgo, physics, and bio is the best approach. But I honestly feel like I don't know how else to study! I have a compulsion to write everything down, and I waste a lot of time doing it.

Long story short, I need some enlightenment on how to study for the MCAT. It’s just not feasible to write everything down, but I’m worried that that is the only way I know how to study. I need a new plan! What should be written down? What order should I study in? As the OP was wondering, do I study all the subjects at once? Or start with chem., and then move on to the next? Also keep in mind that this studying needs to be spread out over a school year where I will be doing a full time course load. I would be looking to write in September 2011.

I'd like to start studying for the MCAT but it all just seems a little overwhelming. I haven't taken chemistry or physics since high school (about 8 years ago, and have never touched orgo), and took first year bio two years ago and got a mediocre mark (for lack of focus mainly).

Don't worry, getting started is the hardest part. It is overwhelming at first, but if you have a good study schedule and the right mindset, you can overcome it :)

I'd like to write the MCAT next summer at some point (I'll be applying during my forth year - and for those wondering, I'm a non-trad who took a year off after high school, did college for 2 years, got into university, finished 1st year and got sick and took a year off, did a few courses and now summer courses, and now about to start my 3rd year...ugh!). I basically have no clue where to start, or even how to study for it.

That's tough. If you haven't done the basic sciences (ie first year chem/bio/physics), or then perhaps you should consider taking a prep course? If you can't do that for whatever reason, the best way to start is to take a free diagnostic test to see where you stand (kaplan, princeton, the free AAMC one), get yourself some prep books, and start reading those. Here's a website I found that I am finding helpful for self-studying for MCAT:

http://www.medaholic.com/2008/10/06/how-to-self-study-for-the-mcat/

When I study for my other courses I seem to spend a lot of time writing out pages and pages of notes, and while I find writing things out helps me study, I do feel that I may take more time than I should doing this..but I have trouble deciding what should be written down and what shouldn't be. After I'm finished writing everything is when I really start studying and memorizing things and practicing my output. Right now I feel that if I were to take this same approach studying for the MCAT, I would be wasting my time. I wouldn't be starting to study until August or September, b/c right now I'm doing 4 summer courses to catch up from the year that I was sick, so I basically spend my days writing and studying. And even if I didn’t have these courses right now, I still don't feel that taking the time to write out EVERYTHING that relates to chem, orgo, physics, and bio is the best approach. But I honestly feel like I don't know how else to study! I have a compulsion to write everything down, and I waste a lot of time doing it.

I have the same problem :( Writing notes helps me a lot (reading things just doesn't stick in my brain), and I tend to get carried away and write down everything. I know this isn't efficient, and you have to find a balance (write only the most important points down). Currently I am taking notes whilst reading my prep books, and I think it helps so do it, but just try not to make them excessively detailed. Most people say that it's the practice that will help you master the MCAT, so once you know the material, you must be able to apply that to passages. Also, like ExamKrackers stresses, try not to get bogged down in details, since most of the info is in the passage. As much as I might try, I can't memorize everything in those books:p Try to get over that compulsion to write everything down, it's hard lol, I'm trying too.

Also keep in mind that this studying needs to be spread out over a school year where I will be doing a full time course load. I would be looking to write in September 2011.

I think studying over the course of a full year is too much. By the time summer rolls around, you'll probably have forgotten much of it (at least I sure would). Are you taking courses next summer? I would recommend start studying in May (after the school year is over), and writing in August. Plus, studying during the school year is kind of hard with all the ECs and other courses you have to keep up with...if you can pull that off though, that's awesome, but I sure can't.

Don't worry, you still have some time until September 2011 :)

I definitely understand your guys' dilemma with the whole notes/compulsion to write everything down...sometimes I have felt like I was just rewriting the textbook. I think what is beneficial depends on which areas you are studying...VR there really is no notes needed...just doing practice passages/questions...for biology notes definitely could be useful...physical sciences somewhat, especially keeping a master page of all the equations that you should be familiar with/memorize...I find a lot of concepts in PS are pretty much in the equations themselves which is always useful. For the inorganic chemistry notes are useful with little examples, however I think doing practice questions makes you learn the concepts in PS the best. For organic chemistry having a master list of the reactions and general behavior of reactants ---> products is probably the best to focus on and practice of course. While having a good knowledge base is important I really feel a big hurdle for most MCAT writers is time management, and how to effectively read the passages and answer the questions...they are ALWAYS testing basic concepts even when they make it look much more complicated...it is a question of applying the concepts which I think most people (including myself) find the most tricky.

Archived